We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 216 Posts
    Hi,

I’ve not been able to get a local installation of Apache running, so am unsure of how the "home page" is handled, as I’m trying our modx on my live site. I’ve created my home page, and gave it the alias "home". I have designated this page to be the start of the site; does that mean this is the page that will be displayed with the site URL (mysite.com)?
      • 52 Posts
      Hi Colin!

Short answer: yes.
      Longer answer: the "home page" will be the MODx document identified in Manager>Administration>System configuration>Site settings>Site start. Then, assuming MODx is installed in the site root, yoursite.com will always take you to the home page. And so will:

• yoursite.com/
      • yoursite.com/index.php
      If the "home page" document has an ID of, say, 5, then

• yoursite.com/5
      • yoursite.com/index.php?id=5
      will also take you there. If search engine friendly URLs are enabled, with a suffix of "html" and doc ID=5 is given an alias of "home", the link to your home page can also be:

• yoursite.com/home
      • yoursite.com/home.html
      • yoursite.com/5.html
      and finally, if the error page is given document ID=5,

• yoursite.com/anythingyoulikeevenhomesweethome.html
      will take you to the your home page!

Regarding local install of Apache, have you tried XAMPP? Unless you have some really exotic hardware, it’s dead easy to get a local server, with all the bells and whistles, up and running in under half an hour....

Cheers
        • 216 Posts
        Thanks for the thorough reply.

I didn’t realise that there are quite some many ways to diplay pages. I will use traditional looking URLs, and yes, I have friendly URLs enabled.

XAMPP is what I have tried. I will have another look at it. As I recall, I was trying to run Joomla on it when I was trying it out. Obviously, it would make a lot of sense to have a local installation. I run an Athlon XP CPU, I seriously doubt that counts as being exotic! grin