We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 36 Posts
    Hello,

I’m planning on using modX as a basis to a kind of community site.

There are 2 types of users which have their basic information (name, adress etc) in common. Then i will have 2 user specific tables with information for the specific usertypes. For this users I will create a site with 1 homepage which links to either one of the 2 userspecific sites with more information, login etc. The homepage also links to some non-specific pages like About us, Contact etc.

Then users should be able to search for eachother based on several DB fields. And finally if they want eachothers full information they will have to pay a small fee through SMS/micropayments. This functionality is very easy to build through snippets.

Some problems I experience and trying to get some help with:
    - Is there a snippet that can generate the menu based on the current login-state of the user?
    - I want to set a session with the specific-site the user is on, so if the user browses to one of the non-specific pages the top-menu of the user will still be filled with their own links. Any Ideas?

And then my far biggest problem for now: Is the current user-registration system of modX capable of my plans? I’m still thinking whether or not i will use the built-in system, or build my own. It is very important that my other administrating users can also easily administer the users. If i build an own system i think i’ll do this through the module page in the backend. But all idea’s are more than welcome.

And FYI: It’s not like i’m a complete programming n00b doing something way to big for himself. I have multiple years programming experience, but because i’m new to ModX I want to get some opinions and some help designing my application.

Thanks in advance.
      • 93 Posts
      - Is there a snippet that can generate the menu based on the current login-state of the user?

Using the Document Groups and User groups, you can set up a tiered level of access. i.e. UsersA, UsersB. UsersA log in and see only those items in menu that they are assgned to, vice versa for UsersB. Users not logged in see a lower level of allowed content. This is not handled by a snippet per se, but by the group mangment. Which is admittedly a little clumsy at this stage but very usable. The 1.0 release will hopefully address the user groups issue with its front/back side integration.