We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    Hullo,

I have installed TinyMCE and deactivated QuickEdit. But I have no idea how to make TinyMCE active. I used it previously in aCMS (joomla?) and suppose it should pop up as it did there, but nothing happens.

I have searched this site for info, but found nothing that helps.

Also, there are numerous options in the system events that should trigger TinyMCE. Are there any "default", because it’s the same there; I haven’t a clue which to select....

Cheers,
    Dan
      • 3,975 Posts
      There is an installer included in the package, run it.

Hope this helps.

regards,

zi
        Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
        • 4 Posts
        Hi zi,

Thanks for reply.
        As far as I know, it’s installed. I ran the installer, got an "OK", and it’s showing up in the plugin list.
        My question was how to activate it, i.e. how to make it show up so that users can use it.
        I used it in Joomla, and when I logged in, little "EDIT" buttons showed up at the pages. I assume the same thing should happen in MODx, but I get nothing at all.
        Hope I explained better....

Cheers,
        Dan
          • 3,975 Posts
          Goto Configuration > Editor setting , choose TinyMCE as a default editor smiley

regards,

zi

• 4 Posts
            Thanks again, zi,

Can’t make it work anyway, but it’s prolly me that has done something awkward. Will work on it.
            But I realize that I asked the wrong question. embarrassed
            I should have asked:
            "The members that eventually will use the site are mostly computer iliterate and have no clue about html. Therefore, editing as it is now with html tags to format their texts will make them screw up, guaranteed. How can I enable some rich text editor - regardless if it’s TinyMCE or any else - or in any other way make the future editing easier for them?"

That’s how I should have written...

Cheers,
            Dan
            • I see the problem here. You mention that you disabled QuickEdit, thinking that TinyMCE would replace it. That is not the case QuickEdit uses either FCK or TinyMCE. QuickEdit is a package of a plugin and a module that allows editing from the front-end. It is not a replacement for TinyMCE, it uses it. So you need to enable the plugin and the module for QuickEdit to work. It will use whatever Rich Text Editor you have configured your site to use.
                Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                • 4 Posts
                Susan,

Ah, thanks. THAT was useful info. smiley
                But I cannot make the RTF editing launch anyway, despite having every editor enabled everywhere. Maybe I’m doing the wrong thing here too?
                I click the button in an article saying "Edit content". A window opens with the content AND html tags. There are ..... hang on a minute.....

....wohoo....It’s a browser issue! Why didn’t I figure that out earlier since I had the same problem with Joomla. DUH!!!
                I’m on Mac using Camino as default browser. It’s really fast and good, but can’t handle this kind of javascriptet stuff. So, after launching Firefox and testing, I can now report that all is well. Everything works. Phew....

Thanks for help, all!!!

Dan
                  • 3,975 Posts
                  Quote from: sottwell at May 31, 2006, 05:36 PM

I see the problem here. You mention that you disabled QuickEdit, thinking that TinyMCE would replace it. That is not the case QuickEdit uses either FCK or TinyMCE. QuickEdit is a package of a plugin and a module that allows editing from the front-end. It is not a replacement for TinyMCE, it uses it. So you need to enable the plugin and the module for QuickEdit to work. It will use whatever Rich Text Editor you have configured your site to use.

ouch! ... I didnt read the post carefully... lack of sleep tongue ...sorry for that.