We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 104 Posts
    Now I "may" have an idea what’s going on.

I just had an issue with a flash video file that wasn’t showing the controller ( "start", "stop" etc doofah )

It was working locally, it was working if I navigated to the file in the assets/flash directory, but when I linked to it from a page in the site the controller didn’t show up.

So I put the "controller" swf in the root directory, and whammo it worked.

It’s as if flash is looking for necessary files in the root directory as opposed to the one it resides in.

Anyway, may I suggest throwing your "images.swf" file into the root directory and see if that helps.
    • I think this is because all MODx pages are "index.php", and it’s embedded in that page, so it’s looking for its support files in the same place where it actually is being embedded, i.e. the root of your site where index.php is, rather than where its swf file is. I’m sure there must be some way to tell it where to look for its support files, but I know about as much about quantum physics as I do about Flash.
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 104 Posts
        Ah, thanks Susan the penny has dropped !

I don’t know if I’m helping the original poster here, but if I can try and explain.

Normally when you publish a flash movie ( make a .swf file which is imbedded in the html ) all the assets are included with the .swf, video, text, external code you can even embed fonts, and then throw that movie where you want.

However when that .swf needs to talk to another .swf, then one has to be careful about one’s paths.

For example my video uses a custom controller I made up. ( controller being the play button etc. ) Those controllers reside in the Flash directory on one’s hard drive, in my case somewhere like C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Skins .

Now when you put the flash on a server, it’s unlikely that the main .swf is going to be able to speak to your hard drive so by default , you put the controller.swf in the same directory.

But as Susan pointed out, every ModX page thinks it is an index.

Therefore what I did was when publishing my movie was point the actual Movie component to a controller.swf in a asset/flash directory under the main one. Then loaded all those files up to the assets/flash directory on the server. Then the .swf goes looking for asset/flash/controller.swf from the index. Kazzaaaa !!

One other note, the paths in the chunk calling the flash movie has to be altered as well from <param name="movie" value="MyMovie.swf" /><embed src="bouw.swf" quality=.......> to assets/flash/MyMovie.swf

This is all assuming that the developer wants to keep all the flash file in the assets/flash folder of course.
          • 65 Posts
          hmmm cool.... that was my thought too.. i tried some path things but not this.
          i will try this end of this week.
          Tomorrow i have a test for my study place ( Communication Design / Graphic Design in Pforzhein, Germany )
          that was so much work to apply and i want in there.
          whish me luck wink

Thank you for your help.
          i think that will work.

laugh