We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 49 Posts
    ok, we have a situation here.
    Our website used too data transfer and got blocked.
    We moved all the FTP content to new server, DNS is changed.
    I made a database backup from modX just before website crashed. (lucky)

Now-- will everything work if i just import the database_dump.sql onto new, blank database and edit the config.inc.php file to match the new host/username/passw?

I have been trying to do this for last 24h, database backup is 35MB. 35MB is way too heavy, server times out and i cant upload it.
    There is a script called BigDump.php, but it uploaded only smart part of the database

// note i am a designer and all this techy stuff makes my head turn. please provide answears like you would tell it to complete idiot. ; )

Thanks--
    chris
    • I deal with this quite often and you’ll have to separate the dump into smaller files. I suspect with 35Mb you have either a lot of custom data or you use the native logging features and do not clean out the tables periodically. Typically, removing all of the log tables from your dump will alleviate the problem of timing out, but if not, try breaking the rest of your data down into small, manageable chunks.
        • 49 Posts
        i got database_backup.gz (45MB!!!) from phpMyAdmin and used BigDump script [http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php] to import it into the new one.
        There is no way text make all the db’s weight! I have a feeling EasyPeasy Gallery does the bad thing. Look at the pic below. The rest of the database consists of that ’matrix’ thing.

• 49 Posts
          Yes, yes-- there it is.

• 1,097 Posts
            Yes, Easy Peasy is storing images in the database itself - which is insane.

Uploading a 35MB db is always going to be difficult, especially if one table accounts for most of that size. I’ve never come across BigDump before, but it seems even that failed you.

I hope you have the images in a normal form somewhere.

What I suggest you do is:
            1) make a copy of the .sql file
            2) open that in a text editor and remove the EPG2_pictures data - everything from
            # Dumping data for table `EPG2_pictures`
            #

down to the next # comment for the next table.
            3) import that (much smaller) file
            4) get the site running
            5) install a gallery script that doesn’t store images in the database.

If your file is still over 1mb, you may find that it is better to gzip the file before step 3.

I hope this helps.
              No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
              MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
              Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
              Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
              Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
              MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!