We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Rightyo so I’m installing modx, I’m at the screen where I need to enter the database username and password. I’ve created a username and password in my cpanel MySQL Databases Manager, and so I enter these into the install screen where it asks for them. I click "test connection" and....and... Connection to host: failed! sad but they’re the right details huh

I thought this Graphical Installer was now "easier for less experienced users to get up and running fast with a step-by-stop online installer." Well I’m not experianced in databases but I have been designing/developing websites for a few years now and I’m not a newbie by any means.

I’m at a dead end, any suggestions? :’(

p.s. sorry if I sound pissed off, just frustrated and been going around in circles doing things it says to do it.
    p.s.s (or is that p.p.s?) I’ve searched the forum, no answers found.
      • 1,097 Posts
      "Connection to host" error suggests that this has nowt to do with the username and password - if memory serves it says "failed login" or somesuch if it does get to that stage.

Check the host is correct and the database name is correct.
        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
      • Garry Nutting Reply #3, 18 years ago
        Hi ryan tvp,

Well, the best bet is to create the database through cPanel and assign the user to the database from there. And then, run the installer.

If you’ve created the database and assigned the user already, are you using the full username and database names? e.g. ’mylogin_myusername’ - same with the database name ’mylogin_mydatabase’

That second one has caught me out a few times when doing installs on my hosted environment when using cPanel.

Hope that helps,

Garry
          Garry Nutting
          Senior Developer
          MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
          Twitter: @garryn
          Web: modx.com
          • 3 Posts
          hokay I will try again, I was allowing modx to create the database...gotta go find out how to create a db again.
            • 3 Posts
            Nope still getting this error, I’ve created the database, username and password. Assigned the username to the db but still got this problem. Must I add the "Table prefix:" somehow?

edit - done it, changed the Database host: to another of the options. Whoo!