We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    Hello everyone. I’m sure this has been covered, but I’ve only found documentation on moving from a different server.

My MODx install is on a subdomain as a test site.

I want to move it to my main domain. Do I just FTP the folders to the main root and re-run install.php or config.php?

Or do I have to reinstall MODx on the main domain?

Thanks for your help!

Phaedra
      • 5 Posts
      You know, I thought this was probably a dumb question that would be ignored by this community. I just wanted to do this the right way. Apparently, it’s way too low-tech a question to be addressed.

I posted a question about how to paginate long articles that never got a respones either. Does anybody here create sites that aren’t just blogs? That are commerical sites that require these specifications?

I want to use this system. I want to learn how to make it work. But I’m not part of some uber-elite that looks down on people who are not programmers or can’t devise the latest snippet or plugin.

We want to use this CMS to enhance our productivity- and-creativity.

There’s views on this question. Any answers? Do we move the folders and call the install.php file or not? Is there another way? Do we reinstall the cms and the databases?

Is this site becoming more like the Drupal forum where you serve a penance for being a laughable newbie?

Thanks anyway.
      • It’s going to completely depend on how your server handles sub-domains. The safest bet is to treat it as moving servers and do a fresh move-and-install routine as outlined in the FAQ (at the bottom): http://modxcms.com/faq.html

Thanks for your patience!

(Regarding the pagination of long articles, not possible that I’m currently aware of but would be a great feature.)
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 3,975 Posts
          Zaigham (aka zi) Reply #4, 18 years ago
          Be patient phaedra, we are not laughing at any newbie! we try our best to answer the support questions all the time, but you should read the documentation, the answers of your questions resides there http://modxcms.com/moving-sites-to-new-servers.html

In your case its not going from your local computer to production server but to another folder on a production server.

hope this helps.

regards,

zi
            Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
          • Actually phaedra, I apologize, it was the upgrade/install items that were in the FAQ. Moving servers has now been added though. smiley
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 5 Posts
              I just want to says thanks thrash, and that I appreciate your response. This is one of the reasons I (want to} stick with MODx. cool Yeah, the documentation covers server-to-server stuff, that’s why I thought moving from a sub might pose a problem.

Will do fresh install. It’s a breeze of an install anyhoo...!

And please forgive my snippy thoughts above...I have more decorum than that and respect for this community and the developers. The Drupal guys and gals just make anyone feel like the lowest spit under your shoe.

All best,

Phaedra
                • 3,975 Posts
                Zaigham (aka zi) Reply #7, 18 years ago
                Quote from: phaedra at May 19, 2006, 08:25 AM

I just want to says thanks thrash, and that I appreciate your response. This is one of the reasons I (want to} stick with MODx. cool Yeah, the documentation covers server-to-server stuff, that’s why I thought moving from a sub might pose a problem.

Will do fresh install. It’s a breeze of an install anyhoo...!

And please forgive my snippy thoughts above...I have more decorum than that and respect for this community and the developers. The Drupal guys and gals just make anyone feel like the lowest spit under your shoe.

All best,

Phaedra

Well, its fine smiley.

Thanks for kind words.

best regards,

zi
                  Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link