We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 356 Posts

There is no automation or logic I’ve ever seen that can produce markup and CSS with the semantic clarity and imaginative genuis a human can.

Buffy,

I bet you can do without having a car too, you can walk to work much more humanly creative then a car with 4 wheels and an engine and why use a computer just use a pice of paper and write your code with a pencil he he just kidding.

WYSIWYG is the way to go even for the adv web professional, it takes more time to hand code everything sure you may have more control but an editor can do same thing in less time and with the source button you can always do some hand coding for specific areas of the content which comes in handy.

I always hear about web developers and their clients and business, this is a bit off subject but need to ask, it seems that most web design professionals are offering more than just design they are hosting their clients sites as well a other services as well. Is this really so easy to do since everyone seems to be doing it ? Providing a client with modx would that imply letting them setup their site or the designer would have modx and do it for them. Seems like to do a clients site in Modx and publish it from modx would require the client get hosting from you as well. Strange business the internet web is he he very confusing but there seems to be so many people doing it.
      SMF Bookmark Mod - check it out
      http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=350
    • As someone who’s actually supported a stay at home mom and child for more than a year solely from building web sites for customers, WYSIWYG is clearly not a viable way for me to survive. Hosting is likewise a very difficult business with which to make a living.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • Quote from: bugsmi0 at May 17, 2006, 04:47 PM

I bet you can do without having a car too, you can walk to work much more humanly creative then a car with 4 wheels and an engine and why use a computer just use a pice of paper and write your code with a pencil he he just kidding.

Considering I work from home, yes, I can do without a car most of the time (doing my part for the environment at least), but I do enjoy camping trips and it comes in handy there. tongue And yes, sometimes writing it down on paper as pseudocode first helps me organize everything before I commit it to actual code.

It’s all part of the inevitable transformation of power from inefficient trickle-down economics and corporate entities to individuals and self-organizing communities of practice where people actually take responsibility for work they actually do...

And just think; as soon as I can afford a hybrid, I can really start acting smug! LOL
          • 356 Posts
          so are you saying you just use modx to design the html for the client then provide them with some sort of template minus the snippet and chunk codes of course, I wouldn’t have thought doing something like that would work too well you can provide a html template but how do they set up their site/pages once you hand over the html code.
            • 160 Posts
            so are you saying you just use modx to design the html for the client then provide them with some sort of template minus the snippet and chunk codes of course, I wouldn’t have thought doing something like that would work too well you can provide a html template but how do they set up their site/pages once you hand over the html code.

I try to give the client an installed modX site that they just have to go into and use quickedit on most of the time. And if they create new pages things are fairly idiot proofed, or at least as idiot proof as I can make ’em. I give them a basic set of instructions with the site, ie "no images wider than 400 pixels in the middle column." and turn ’em loose. I include snippets and chunks and all of it. They shouldn’t have to touch anything except to edit content.

as soon as I can afford a hybrid, I can really start acting smug!

Howzabout solar panels and a wind generator? I’m trying to head in that direction myself. smiley and yes, I occasionally work off hardcopy. But then I’m also one of those peculiar individuals who threw out the TV years ago.
              "I’d love to change the world but I can’t find the source code . . ."

Custom ModX Templates
              • 356 Posts
              So your Web services include designing the clients site and the MODX system so that’s what they are paying for, I thought we were not allowed to $ell MODX ie opensource or is it because you are providing it as a package with the webdesign that its ok, nifty idea. smiley
                • 258 Posts
                Quote from: bugsmi0 at May 18, 2006, 04:43 PM

I thought we were not allowed to $ell MODX ie opensource

Please get your facts straight on how software which is licensed under the GPL works. These kind of comments border on FUD and irritate me to no end when a single web lookup (like for example http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney) would have answered your question perfectly
                  • 577 Posts
                  I want to drive a Hummer 2 smiley

However, a porche would be that much sweeter though laugh

Come on folks -- smile damit!
                    Tangent-Warrior smiley
                    • 3,975 Posts
                    Couple of Porsches would be ok tongue
                      Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                      • 577 Posts
                      hehe, it’s not the car but what’s in the passenger seat laugh
                        Tangent-Warrior smiley