We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Quote from: bugsmi0 at May 17, 2006, 07:15 AM

how could you have used Safari with modx seeing that the fckedit doesn’t work with it ? how do you work with your documents by manual coding ?

But of course, bugsmi0! There is no automation or logic I’ve ever seen that can produce markup and CSS with the semantic clarity and imaginative genuis a human can. But the inverse is also true, and I in particular use WYSIWYG to provide my clients with the ability to edit small, protected areas of content without messing up the integrity of the markup or design of their site.

There are plenty of tools aimed at people who don’t want to bother with the finer details of the art of good markup and styling. I hear Yahoo site builder is nice. But for people who have serious businesses to run that aren’t focused on XHTML, CSS styles, database design, or internet security, this is where MODx and open source consultants come in. MODx is a tool I can use, as a freelance web developer, to easily develop and maintain complex sites, and provide my end users with the ability to make quick changes to the actual content of the site, without worrying how to lay it out or how data gets saved by the forms they can customize themselves. And I can do it for them so much cheaper than the more powerful and complex commercial CMS companies can that they are happy to pay me well for my services.

Food for thought...

Cheers,

buffy
      • 160 Posts
      And when you do install for clients, if you install tinyMCE the code won’t be that bad, it’s actually almost tolerable (unless they do something boneheaded like stick a 700 wide table in the middle of a three column layout.) FCK, however, is awful. Just awful.
        "I’d love to change the world but I can’t find the source code . . ."

Custom ModX Templates
      • Quote from: bugsmi0 at May 17, 2006, 07:15 AM

how could you have used Safari with modx seeing that the fckedit doesn’t work with it ? how do you work with your documents by manual coding ?
        I consider that a feature... no FCK mucking up my markup. IOW, I’d turn it off if Safari didn’t "magically" do that for me. wink

I still believe Safari is far superior in terms of performance than any other browser but its true it be buggy with cms systems and also admin type areas its getting better but still has a ways to go, performance wise it beats firefox hands down only firefox has alot of crap that comes with it called extensions.
        http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/firefox-becomes-a-contender
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 44 Posts
          Are you sure this isn’t related to the QuickEdit module? My experience has been that QuickEdit slows down the front end (but only if you’re logged in as a manager). For the regular end user there’s no slowdown. Maybe try disabling QuickEdit and see if that makes a difference for you.
          • I think you are correct cyberk, and this is being addressed for the next release. Great improvements already in fact. smiley
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me