We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 18 Posts
    Hi!
    I had a search trought this forum, but without luck! sad

how can I create a webcommunity with modx?
    I meant.... I site where:

1-Users register themselves
    2-They create their own page profile
    3-They can browse to other users pages (or profiles)

something like orkut or a dating site, but much mooooooore simpler.

How can I start? Modx is already up and running in my laptop.

I have already made this community using xaraya, but I really want to see if I can convert it to use modx
      who dares win
    • There’s a painful balance that must be struck when developing a web community using a CMS tool. I’ve developed or been involved with development projects for web communities for some very large organizations, including assisting in developing some early forms of CSC’s Communities of Practice extranet portals, as well as attempted to develop some with many YAPS (Yet Another Portal System; though I refer mostly to PostNuke and then MD-Pro in my experience). Though the YAPS solutions tend to make it easy to get started, extending these systems is quite a challenge and at times seemingly impossible. With MODx, currently, it would be a little bigger start-up curve, as you need to take control of the simpler activities take for granted in YAPS, such as user registration processes, user security, community organization, and more. But once you have the foundation in MODx, extending and expanding your community is only as difficult as the task at hand. The flexibility of MODx helps you take those communities to the next level, unhindered by the rules imposed by a typical YAPS architecture, but you need to do a little construction and customization to get the foundation ready.

So, your only limits are your MODx knowledge, your PHP skills, your XHTML/CSS skills, and your ability to imagine your community. If you need assistance with certain portions of the process, understanding how portions of MODx work, or anything else, feel free to ask more specific questions (i.e. how do I setup or customize the WebSignup snippet to do this or that?); this community is wonderful at providing support and feedback on your ideas.
        • 18 Posts
        ok! there are going to be loads of little specific topis from myself! (except, of course, the ones that are already posted in the forum!)

So far my community is ready, I made it with xaraya that is quite hard in comparison with other CMS, but I am looking for another solution integrated with ajax.

so far that I know... I need to learn loads! arg! grin
          who dares win
          • 18 Posts
          just wondering... it should not been too much different from this

http://modxcms.com/blog-publish.html

except that every single user can post just ONE page... right?
            who dares win