We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 141 Posts
    Why do these things always happen when you are in a hurry?

I am trying to do a new installation of 0.9.2 in my lunchbreak, and I get the helpful error message "A file permissions error has occurred. Please check the permissions on the script and the directory it is in and try again."

I have set the permissions for assets/cache, assets/export, and assets/images to 777 as instructed. All other directories seem to be 775 and files 664.

I have done several installs on the same server (albeit previous versions of Modx) and I don’t recall getting this error before.

Any suggestions as to where I should be looking?

Thanks.
    • It sounds like there’s a corrupt file somewhere.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • Also, if you still get this after verifying the integrity of the files, make sure the files in those 777 directories are 666, not 777; this could potentially affect things in certain environments as well. And if you are in a phpSuExec environment where the webserver runs as your user account, you wouldn’t need to change permissions at all.
          • 141 Posts
          Thanks chaps. A reinstall did NOT solve the problem.

The difficulty is that I have limited internet access here at work and none at all during weekday evenings. I therefore had to guide an inexperienced user through a telnet session via email.

I got them to upload the distro package to a newly created directory, and unzip it on the server using Putty, which is what I had done initially. At the end of this we got exactly the same error.

However, I had a previous install which I made by unzipping everything locally and uploading it all with filezilla. The problem with this was that it took a long time and I had many retries. In the end I went out and left it to its own devices. At the end of the day, though, I didn’t trust it to have copied all the files correctly, and so abandoned it

However, when I tried to install this version it worked absolutely fine (up to a point which I shall cover in a new thread).

I can only assume that the server applied different permissions to the locally unzipped files. I shall check it out at the weekend and report if I find anything untoward.