We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 6 Posts
    First off I apologize if there might have been a better place to post this.

I installed MODx this weekend and was overjoyed to see that so many different snippets have been developed but when I tried to cut, paste, and save my first snippet I got an internal server error. I thought it was a configuration error on my part but I double checked all paths and every other configuration option that might be set wrong but nothing changed the fact that I got an error. I tracked down a few posts that said server errors were sometimes related to ASCII/binary upload errors so I reinstalled with a different ftp program making sure it was also set to auto and same thing after installation. I verified that all folders have correct permissions. The farthest I have been able to get is to save the snippet with a few basic lines of text but once I past much more than that I get the server error. Any ideas what might be going on... the only thing the error log says is that there was a 500 error with page of the new snippet.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Rich
    • We’ll need information about your server to even take a remote guess.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 6 Posts
        Sorry for not posting more relevant info before i guess i was hoping it was something I overlooked (aka screwed up). I am on a shared hosting plan with imhosted.com on a linux server running apache 1.3.33, php 4.3.1, and mysql 4.0.25. I am guessing you want part of the phpinfo but I am not sure what portions to post so here I will post just the initial info below for now. If you need another part of the phpinfo just let me know.

PHP Version 4.3.10

System Linux universal.dnsprotect.com 2.6.8.1 #3 SMP Sat Aug 21 21:19:56 EDT 2004 i686
        Build Date Dec 22 2004 13:03:46
        Configure Command ’./configure’ ’--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs’ ’--with-xml’ ’--enable-bcmath’ ’--enable-calendar’ ’--with-curl’ ’--with-dom’ ’--with-dom-xslt’ ’--with-dom-exslt’ ’--enable-exif’ ’--with-swf=/usr/local/flash’ ’--enable-ftp’ ’--with-gd’ ’--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local’ ’--with-png-dir=/usr’ ’--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6’ ’--with-gettext’ ’--with-imap’ ’--with-imap-ssl’ ’--with-kerberos’ ’--enable-mbstring’ ’--enable-mbstr-enc-trans’ ’--enable-mbregex’ ’--with-mcrypt’ ’--with-mhash’ ’--with-ming=../ming-0.2a’ ’--enable-magic-quotes’ ’--with-mysql=/usr’ ’--with-openssl’ ’--enable-discard-path’ ’--with-pear’ ’--with-pspell’ ’--enable-safe-mode’ ’--enable-sockets’ ’--enable-track-vars’ ’--with-ttf’ ’--with-freetype-dir=/usr’ ’--enable-gd-native-ttf’ ’--enable-versioning’ ’--enable-wddx’ ’--with-xmlrpc’ ’--with-zip’ ’--with-zlib’
        Server API Apache
        Virtual Directory Support disabled
        Configuration File (php.ini) Path /usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini
        PHP API 20020918
        PHP Extension 20020429
        Zend Extension 20021010
        Debug Build no
        Thread Safety disabled
        Registered PHP Streams php, http, ftp, https, ftps, compress.zlib
          • 215 Posts
          Quote from: RichWNY at May 03, 2006, 01:58 AM

The farthest I have been able to get is to save the snippet with a few basic lines of text
          Plain Text or PHP-code? wink So what happens if you only put the following line into a snippet and run it within a document?
          return "Hello World";

Could you post the section "Configuration" from you php-info?
            • 6 Posts
            Creating that snippet and inserting it produced the correct results, a document with "Hello World" in it... as far as plain text or php I only tested it at first using plain text (other than the few snippets I tried pasting) as I was starting off small. I will glady do it with php.. maybe you can suggest some other snippets to try and paste (that might be smaller ) or some other method of testing.

Thanks for all the help!

PHP Core
            Directive Local Value Master Value
            allow_call_time_pass_reference On On
            allow_url_fopen On On
            always_populate_raw_post_data Off Off
            arg_separator.input & &
            arg_separator.output & &
            asp_tags Off Off
            auto_append_file no value no value
            auto_prepend_file no value no value
            browscap no value no value
            default_charset no value no value
            default_mimetype text/html text/html
            define_syslog_variables Off Off
            disable_classes no value no value
            disable_functions no value no value
            display_errors On On
            display_startup_errors Off Off
            doc_root no value no value
            docref_ext no value no value
            docref_root no value no value
            enable_dl On On
            error_append_string no value no value
            error_log error_log error_log
            error_prepend_string no value no value
            error_reporting 2039 2039
            expose_php On On
            extension_dir ./ ./
            file_uploads On On
            gpc_order GPC GPC
            highlight.bg #FFFFFF #FFFFFF
            highlight.comment #FF8000 #FF8000
            highlight.default #0000BB #0000BB
            highlight.html #000000 #000000
            highlight.keyword #007700 #007700
            highlight.string #DD0000 #DD0000
            html_errors On On
            ignore_repeated_errors Off Off
            ignore_repeated_source Off Off
            ignore_user_abort Off Off
            implicit_flush Off Off
            include_path /home/antanavi/public_html/manager/includes/ .:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php
            log_errors On On
            log_errors_max_len 1024 1024
            magic_quotes_gpc On On
            magic_quotes_runtime Off Off
            magic_quotes_sybase Off Off
            max_execution_time 30 30
            max_input_time -1 -1
            open_basedir no value no value
            output_buffering no value no value
            output_handler no value no value
            post_max_size 55M 55M
            precision 14 14
            register_argc_argv On On
            register_globals On On
            report_memleaks On On
            safe_mode Off Off
            safe_mode_exec_dir no value no value
            safe_mode_gid Off Off
            safe_mode_include_dir no value no value
            sendmail_from no value no value
            sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
            serialize_precision 100 100
            short_open_tag On On
            SMTP localhost localhost
            smtp_port 25 25
            sql.safe_mode Off Off
            track_errors On Off
            unserialize_callback_func no value no value
            upload_max_filesize 2M 2M
            upload_tmp_dir no value no value
            user_dir no value no value
            variables_order EGPCS EGPCS
            xmlrpc_error_number 0 0
            xmlrpc_errors Off Off
            y2k_compliance Off Off
              • 215 Posts
              There’s nothing wrong with it (except "display_errors" is "on" which has some impact on security, but has nothing to do with your problem). I’ve no idea what’s failing here. huh Did you ever try to paste the Snippet’s code into a regular document? Just to check there isn’t a problem with the maximum string length.

maybe you can suggest some other snippets to try and paste (that might be smaller)
              You’ll find a lot of Snippets to try out here in the Forums.

As a last option I’d recommend to get an updated version of Apache (current: 1.3.35) and PHP (4.4.2). The occurence of this Error 500 is really strange and shouldn’t happen when running php as a module.

I hope, someone else got an idea... wink
                • 6 Posts
                I tried pasting it as a document and that also caused an error... im trying to see exactly how much I can paste before I get the error. You mentioned a maximum string length.. is there a way to check to see what that is set at.
                  • 6 Posts
                  I just found out that if I paste 2000 lines of plain text (actually I just copied the comments from maxigallery over and over). I am able to save that correctly. I can also paste the snippet at least to line 600 but I haven’t determined where it fails after that. So the error only occurs only happens when I paste snippet code into the editor.
                    • 6 Posts
                    I was trying different snippets and found out that I can save the snippet for the suckerfish gallery but not maxigallery or minigallery. I don’t know if I will ever figure out whats going on here... but thanks to anyone who can help.
                      • 215 Posts
                      Quote from: RichWNY at May 03, 2006, 10:46 PM

You mentioned a maximum string length.. is there a way to check to see what that is set at.

I don’t know about a setting for this that gives you an error 500. Just ask your admin/provider what’s up with his server wink