We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 57 Posts
    Hi, I’m new to MODx and am evaluating it for use in a few different websites. MODx seems very promising but I’m a bit unsure regarding how languages are handled... I see that MODx doesn’t use gettext - which I can understand because gettext isn’t fast... But using something similar to gettext/ngettext would be useful especially if you want to translate the framework to languages with other plural forms. Also date-formatting should be localised or there should be the possibility to set your own fromat...

What I’m wondering is if languages will be handled differently in 1.0 and if it’s possible to use some kind of function (i.e. __(’string’) and _n(’string’, ’int’)) which returns the string instead of $_lang[’string’]. This would make it easier to change the way languages are handled in the future and in modules/plugins/templates.

And why do you first build the english language array (in the manager/index.php-file) and count it before replacing the values with the chosen language? Isn’t this a waste of time and resources especially if the amount of strigs translated grow?

Just a few thoughts... maybe I’m just rambling...

Regards Carl