We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I want to develop a system to enable my web-context users to create Gallery albums, not by uploading files, but by choosing images already on the site.

Would extending Gallery be a reasonable approach to this, or would it be better to start from scratch and roll my own?

What security concerns should I be aware of?

If extending Gallery would work, how might I go about doing it? I’m thinking it would be possible to write a plugin that basically serves the same purpose on the front-end as the Gallery CMP serves within the manager, except that it would create an album from a list of file URLs selected by the user. Does that make sense? I think I can figure out how to do it, but I’m pretty new to xPDO and any hints would be appreciated.

Ultimately I’d also like to provide a tool for resizing and cropping. Could the editor for the Gallery custom TV be adapted for that, or again, would it be better to just write my own editor?