We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,161 Posts
    I am testing Revo 2.07 on my Mac using MAMP.

I want to get Gallery to function in its most basic form: no jquery, no custom CSS, no fancy additions. I just want to get started - but so far NOTHING HAPPENS!

Here are my steps so far...

* Went to Package Management, downloaded and installed the Gallery Snippet (1.0.2)
    * Went to Manager > Elements and there is a new folder in both Chunks and Snippets for the new Gallery snippet.
    * Created a new Resource page called Gallery and published it with a simple headline but no other content.
    * Added a basic call to my new Resource ("Gallery"), like so:
    [[!Gallery? &album=`Test Album`]]

* Went to Manager> Assets > Components > Gallery and noticed that there are several sub folders contained within.
    * I created a new folder inside Gallery and called it Test Gallery. I then right clicked that folder and uploaded some images.
    * I then went to my Gallery resource and there are no pictures or thumbnails?
    * I noticed that there is a folder inside the Gallery folder called Files. I tried adding my Test Gallery folder with images to that folder. Still no images show on the front end.

** I then tried using the code from here: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/Gallery.Setting+Up+Your+Gallery
    But still no images?

OK, where I am going wrong? Is it my snippet call or am I creating the gallery folder incorrectly?

I really wish there was a basis step by step guide here...

Thanks!
      • 24,544 Posts
      Unfortunately, the tutorial you provided a link to gives no clue that I can see about how and where to upload the photos. I think it’s likely that the photos are in the wrong place.

In the roadmap, I do see this for released versino 1.0, which might be a clue:

Batch import from a directory into an album
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 1,161 Posts
        I found several threads that mention creating albums, but I have no idea where they go either.

I have found some good stuff on adding jquery to control the display of Gallery and other advanced template stuff. But for now all I want to do is create a folder of images that will display with this snippet in its most basic form. Sounds like a simple thing, no?

I suspect much of my error comes from thinking this performs like MaxiGallery.

I think a ton of people contemplating using Gallery are dying to see a well explained tutorial like Mary is well known for producing...
          • 24,544 Posts
          I did get Gallery to work when it was first released, but I’m afraid I have no memory of what I did.
            My MODX Extras
            • 24,544 Posts
            Click on Components -> Gallery in the Top Menu.

Create an active album.

right-click on the album and select "Update Album." All will be revealed. wink

I updated the docs.
              My MODX Extras
              • 1,161 Posts
              Wow Bob,

That does shine a light on things. But I am getting all kinds of performance I do not want. Sigh!

I have those two sample pages and they both list the thumbs OK, but the simple page does not link to the full size images. The more complex page via http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/Gallery.Setting+Up+Your+Gallery will display the thumbs and clicking on any thumb will then display the full size image. The issue is there is no previous or next feature when presented with a full size image? Clicking on any image will take you to a blank page with nothing but the image?

To be honest: I need to shut down for the night. I am just fed up. I am so wanting to like Revo but the whole image presentation system is a confusing mess in my opinion. I will tackle this in the morning, but my hunch is that I may never use Revo until these critical features are better explained with tutorials that present these snippets in a straight forward manner (written in step by step english...)

Max

• 24,544 Posts
                Gallery is a very minimalist add-on. Take a look at this: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/Gallery.Plugins.Galleriffic
                  My MODX Extras
                  • 5,888 Posts
                  @Photowebmax

how would your prefered gallery-management-workflow and frontend-view look like?
                    -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
                    • 46 Posts
                    I also couldn’t get the full size images to work. What I ended up doing was adding one line of code to the gallery snippet to add a placeholder to the real url of the image that I could grab in a tpl chunk. Since I wasn’t using a resized image for the full-size one, this was fine. I coupled that with my own tpl since I wanted to use floatbox to display the full size images. Unfortunately I no longer have the edited snippet (I uninstalled + deleted gallery until it either gets refined or I hack it some more to give me extra fields and such) but I can take a look later and see if I can recall what I did if you like. I’m sure it did nothing at all like galley is supposed to do, but it did what I wanted...
                      • 1,161 Posts
                      Bob, you mention that "Gallery is a very minimalist add-on." OK, to get started that is what I am interested in: getting it up and running in its simplest form, no bells, no whistles, etc. But why is this task so difficult then? I may be a little stupid at times, but I am a professional photographer and have been messing around with web galleries for years. I am also not a MODx newbie.

Madmattd’s solution to getting a full size image to show when clicking a thumbnail is "...adding one line of code to the gallery snippet to add a placeholder to the real url of the image that I could grab in a tpl chunk. Since I wasn’t using a resized image for the full-size one, this was fine. I coupled that with my own tpl since I wanted to use floatbox to display the full size images..." Huh? Reading the Gallery forum threads it appears like everyone is off on their own building bridge solutions with patched placeholder template chunks etc. All I am looking for is a proven guide to getting this system working.

MaxiGallery has a lot going for it. I have installed it many times. I have left it "plain Jain" and I have tweaked its CSS and added custom jquery effects like Fancybox etc.

Bruno asks "how would your prefered gallery-management-workflow and frontend-view look like?" That is a very good question. I can’t give you specifics about producing a system as I lack programming skills. But overall my feeling is this: we are in the arena of Content Management Systems here. I believe MODx is the best CMS around for the most part. I can tell some users just love messing around with custom code bridges to get things to perform. But some of us just want to install/activate a snippet and actually get some work done, oh like managing content maybe? Spending hours tracking down a variety of threads that go in different directions with no real concise summation is really frustrating.

I would expect to run into issues if I was coming up with a wild request that had a convoluted multiple gallery system that used custom aggregation for registered web users to access on Thursdays only for users of the Zulu language... All I want to do is create a page called Gallery with the most basic snippet call and have my images display...

Installing Gallery is pretty straight forward with the Revo Package Managment system. But from there the user is left wondering where the images go? Where do the thumbnails go? How do you create galleries? What needs to happen on your resource that will display the gallery(s)? In my case I was digging in the assets folder for some clues to these questions. I had no idea I should be adding galleries via the upper menu? How about providing a six or eight point list of things to do to get your first gallery working? To get users going present this system in a simple, direct fashion like a chocolate chip cookie recipe.

I have to end this before I embarrass myself any further. This is like the third time I have tried Revo. Each time my stumbling block remains: how do you present images nicely without going insane? Each time I retreat back to the warm waters of Evo...