We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,161 Posts
    I had a container Blog page that worked perfectly with MaxiGallery. I had the Ditto snippet aggregating all the child pages on the front Blog page using the summary intro text system. I then made a change so that the Blog page would show all the content of the child blog posts instead of just the summary.

The problem is that the Blog page is now showing the actual MaxiGallery snippet calls from all the child pages on the main Blog page? You see the chunk code for the calls instead of seeing the thumbnails etc.

This is a major stumbling block. I guess the system does not like seeing all those same MaxiGallery calls showing up on the Blog page?

The question is: how do I fix this? You can see the issue here: http://basenji-shaun.com/blog.html

Thanks!
      • 2,310 Posts
      Max,
      Could you put the MaxiGallery snippet call in the template of the individual post pages?
        • 1,161 Posts
        Thanks David.

What I have now is this...

One the container Blog page I have the following:

<div id="dittoDisplay">
        [!Ditto? &parents=`2` &tpl=`dittoArticlesTemplate`  &display=`8` &paginate=`1` &paginateAlwaysShowLinks=`0`  &dateFormat=`%b %d %Y` &tagData=`myTags` &tagDelimiter=`, ` &tagDocumentID=`6` &tplPaginatePage=`pageSplitter`  &paginateSplitterCharacter=`|` &orderBy=`createdon DESC`!]

[+previous+] [+pages+] [+next+]
        </div>

And the dittoArticlesTemplate I have this:

<div class="postdate"><span class="month">[+createdon:date=`%B`+]</span><span class="day">[+createdon:date=`%d`+]</span><span class="year">[+createdon:date=`%Y`+]</span></div>
        <div class="ditto_item" id="ditto_item_[+id+]">
            <h2 class="ditto_pageTitle"><[~[+id+]~]>[+pagetitle+]</h2>
            <div class="ditto_documentInfo">by <strong>[+author+]</strong> <br/>with tags [+tagLinks+] </div>
        <div class="ditto_introText"><span class="ditto_thumbNail">[+addThumb+]</span>[+content+]</div>
        </div> 

The MaxiGallery chunk I add depending on if I want a gallery in the individual posts or not. Not every post has a gallery:

<div id="galleryBox">
        [!MaxiGallery? &display=`embedded` &embedtype=`slimbox` &pics_per_row=`5` &max_thumb_size=`80` &max_pic_size=`0` &thumb_use_dropshadow=`1` &disable_js_libs=`0` !]
        </div>

I think this is something to do with the last line in the dittoArticlesTemplate. At the end there I have [+content+]. I used to have [+introtext+] and the MaxiGllery worked fine on all the individual pages. But now that we have deiced to show all the full content of the posts on the Blog page the gallery system stops working and shows the actual repeated snippet call instead???

I thought this might be a JS conflict so I tested removing the script from the menu animation but that did nothing to solve the gallery issue.
          • 2,310 Posts
          I’d guess that’s because the content is coming via a Ditto place holder so it’s not being parsed first.
          So you get the raw snippet call showing in the summary.
          That’s why I wondered if you couldn’t remove the Maxi Gallery snippet call from the content area and add it to the template, either directly or via a TV.
          That way the basic content would appear in the summary, but not the snippet call.
            • 1,161 Posts
            I tried adding the Maxigallery call to the dittoArticlesTemplate directly. I then created a fresh test document to be aggregated by Ditto on the Blog page. No gallery or Manage Pictures button shows. The call actually shows twice on the existing posts: on top and the bottom of each post?

I have one single gallery page and MaxiGallery works fine there.

Is this something to do with multiple incidences of the call appearing on the Blog page via Ditto that is causing the issue?
              • 1,161 Posts
              OK, some progress...

I changed the MaxiGallery call:

<div id="galleryBox">
              [[MaxiGallery? &gal_query_ids=`[+id+]` &display=`embedded` &embedtype=`slimbox` &pics_per_row=`5` &max_thumb_size=`80` &max_pic_size=`0` &thumb_use_dropshadow=`1` &disable_js_libs=`0` ]]
              </div>

Looks like the critical addition to the call is the &gal_query_ids=`[+id+]`

My old galleries now appear. The gallery works but the thumbs are not floating. They appear as one long vertical column? Might be a css path issue with the MaxiGallery CSS? The other critical issue is that the Manage Pictures button does not show?

Also, if I enter the uRL of the specific post page, away from the container Blog page, the gallery and the Manage Photographs button is missing?

I am closer but there is some code or changes to the Snippet call or template needed. I can feel it...
                • 1,161 Posts
                It looks like the conversion to showing the content rather than the intro text/summary is making MaxiGallery to add extra <UL> divs within the collection of thumbnails. This ruins the normal float presentation for the thumbnails. I can delete and rebuild all the galleries as I think this issue will go away.

The main issue now is that MaxiGallery is not presenting any instance of the vital Manage Photographs button. The button does not show on any of the Blog pages generated by Ditto and it does not show if you force enter the individual page id in the browser window. The page will show fine but there is no button to manage the images?

Still stumped with this...
                  • 2,310 Posts
                  Sorry Max, I think I misunderstood what you were wanting to achieve.
                  I haven’t used MaxiGallery in quite a while so am of little use sad
                    • 1,161 Posts
                    Thanks guys...

I am working on the CSS for the Ditto pages and the gallery thumbnails. This should not be that difficult to finesse.

I have made progress. I got Ditto to aggregate the posts on the Blog page with full content instead of just the summary showing. I have the Maxigallery galleries for each post showing and functioning.

The only issue, and its a biggie, is that I do NOT have the important MaxiGallery Manage Photographs button showing?

One more issue: If you open the most recent gallery you can click through all the images, say, 1- 12. But you can keep going through ALL the images (like all 64 of them) that are presented in all the different galleries on the Blog container page. Not a deal breaker but its not what I want.

<sigh> I find photo gallery management a real pain with MODx. I still mainly use Evo because of MaxiGallery. So far my tests using Revo gallery systems have been even more demanding.
                      • 1,161 Posts
                      Ok, I am not sure what I am doing but I am testing this and testing that...

During research into Ditto and MaxiGallery threads I found some helpful/conflicting/confusing threads.

basically it looks like you need either of these added to the Ditto template or the MaxiGallery call:

&view_gallery=`[+id+]`
                      or

&gal_query_ids=`[+id+]`

I was using both. I removed one and the galleries would still display. I then tried removing both and the galleries are gone, but the Manage Photographs button appears! When the button is present all the previous images do not show. Add the &gal_query_ids=`[+id+]` back to the MaxiGallery call and the previous added galleries show fine.

All of this makes me think I need to build a TV to add the gallery call or even choose the ID# of the child document that is being aggregated on the Ditto Blog page?

But getting closer one stumble at a time... undecided