We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 93 Posts
    I have a really weird problem. I have several clients on the same VPS/host. Today I started turning them all over to FURL’s. No problems. Until I come to one that will NOT save the system configuration settings. I change to FURL’s and click save. Navigate immediatly back to system config page. And the settings are back to FURL’s "no" Anyone have any idea why I am getting this behavoir?

Exact same problem with New User creation. Fill out form. Click save. Doc1 loads in preview pane instead of Action succesful.

edit: On the other sites I get a "Action succesful etc" page. On the site where this is failing It loads Doc = 1.

Thanks in advance,
    JT
    • Sounds like your cache files are not writable. Check and make sure all .php files in your /assets/cache directory have permissions 666 and the /assets/cache directory itself has 777.

Another possiblity could be incorrect database user permissions.

If that’s not the issue, post back and we’ll continue trying to figure this one out.
        • 93 Posts
        Mr. OpenGeek, sir. Its too late. I broke the internet. At least that site. Trying to fix it I messed with hosting options from our resellers platform and totally destroyed the clients MODX installation. Now, MODX thinks it has never been isntalled AND I can not CHMOD ANYTHING. I get "bad file descriptor" error. BUT, that is not related at all to MODX and you guys dont have to worry about it. Now I just have to see if I can salavage ANYTHING out of the tables and crawl weeping to the client. And my boss come to think of it.

Sigh. huh

I sometimes wonder why I am allowed near a computer. How did I ever make it when I was a Sys Admin?

*stumbles away weeping* smiley
        • I’ve had similar problems. I had to download everything, one file at a time, then I could re-upload the files and they were fine. It was only the server filesystem that had gotten scrambled. The database should still be fine, unless the database filesystem got corrupted also, which is highly unlikely. Just see if you can get ahold of the config.inc.php file, and any image files, with an FTP client (or your control panel’s file manager). Everything else can be removed and replaced with new uploads.

If necessary, do a dump of the database from your control panel’s phpMyAdmin, and you can do a total reinstall, then upload the dump again via phpMyAdmin.

(and this is why I have a bunch of backup folders on my local machine that get updated daily if I’m developing a site; the user is reponsible for any backups of content he adds after the site is finished and he gets his final backup CD).
            Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
            Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
            Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
            • 93 Posts
            Ah-HA!

As I was falling asleep last night I wondered if this solution would work. Now I am going to run as fast as I can to the office.

Thanks Susan. Once again you rock.
              • 93 Posts
              OK guys. I saved the installation and all the client data files etc. BUT, the darn thing is right back like it was. It wil not, not, not save the setting when I click the radio button for FURL’s