We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 9 Posts
    As I mentioned in my other post, I’ve been using ModX for a while and think it is a great CMS. However, are there any tips for making it more memory and load efficient? I’m on a shared server for now and would love to be able to have the site A) go faster and B) not take up as many resources.

I already disabled the stats thing since I have Google Analytics and that does the trick. Any other tips?
      • 122 Posts
      If you look inside your index.php file there are some fields you can fill out for a little extra speed. Look for the following and fill in the values:

// set these values here for a small speed increase! :)
      $database_type = "";
      $database_server = "";
      $database_user = "";
      $database_password = "";
      $dbase = "";
      $table_prefix = "";		
      $base_url = "";
      $base_path = "";

Also ask what the average server load of the server is that you’re currently hosted on. A lot of shared hosts over load their servers by squeezing too many accounts onto one server.

Finally, I’m not sure if this is my imagination or not, but I seem to get better (i.e. faster) results with php 4.x and apache 1.3.33 than I do with php 4.x and apache 2.x.

I think also a lot of the speed and overhead issues will/have been addressed in the next release.
        • 258 Posts
        Quote from: doug at Apr 16, 2006, 01:50 PM

B) not take up as many resources.

What resources is ModX using up that need to be trimmed? I am not disagreeing with you about performance, I am just interested in where the bottleneck is on your server.
          • 204 Posts
          Also, who are you hosting with if it’s not too impolite to ask? And server specification? On one of our reseller accounts the cpu is max’ing out all the time and has nothng to do with anything we’re doing, and we suspect that particular host is sharing a little bit too much.

• 3,250 Posts
            MARKSVIRTUALDESK Reply #5, 18 years ago
            Quote from: myan24 at Apr 16, 2006, 02:03 PM

If you look inside your index.php file there are some fields you can fill out for a little extra speed. Look for the following and fill in the values:

That is not for user input, there was a thread about that a while back...
              • 9 Posts
              My host (HostGator.com) says the site takes up a lot of memory resources and causes the load to spike. My site’s fairly large, so I think it’s understandable. According to the whois, there’s 481 other sites on the server we used to be on (we recently upgraded to a semi-dedicated).

The server is a Dual Xeon with 2 GB of RAM or so I believe. Apache is 1.3.34.

So I understand I should *not* edit the index.php file as myan24 said? Also, when is the next release coming out?
                • 3,250 Posts
                MARKSVIRTUALDESK Reply #7, 18 years ago
                Do not edit your index.php as those values are not for user changing (they just initialize the variables for a small speed boost).

Next release is coming soon
                  • 122 Posts

That is not for user input, there was a thread about that a while back...

Do not edit your index.php as those values are not for user changing

shocked

Sorry! I did not realise. When one reads a comment like this in a file:

set these values here for a small speed increase!

One assumes you are instructing the user to "set these values here for a small speed increase". Perhaps it would be a good idea to clarify or amend that coment in index.php rather than hoping people will stumble across a thread in the forum?