We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 216 Posts
    Hi,

I’ve confused myself. I can’t remember what I did when I installed Modx, and changed the ht.access file to .htaccess. The .htaccess file now has different contents to what was originally in it. In fact, it appears to be identical to old .htaccess file. Is it that it is rewritten once I’ve renamed it to the following:

# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from all
    </Limit>
    <Limit PUT DELETE>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    </Limit>
    AuthName www.xxxxxx.org
    AuthUserFile /home/xxxxxx/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
    AuthGroupFile /home/xxxxxx/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

RedirectMatch permanent ^/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi$ http://www.xxxxxx.org/cgi-bin/community/YaBB.cgi

But it would have also had to pick up an old redirect. Sorry, I have very little knowledge of servers, only picking up stuff once I hit a problems. I just cannot work out what’s happened. This is identical to the old .htaccess file. huh
    • Looks like you have FrontPage Extensions installed. If you don’t need those, I suggest turning them off. Otherwise, it’s possible that the hosting setup is not allowing your htaccess changes to stick, as you suggest. If this is a CPanel based host, you can easily turn off Front Page Extensions, otherwise... huh
        • 216 Posts
        Ah, OK.

I believe I should be able to. Thinking about it, it may even be the result of the redirect. The redirct was set up from cpanel, and my guess is that is recreating the original .htaccess file, as the redirect is still there. I no longer need it, so I’ll just remove it. wink

What I found particulrly odd was that if I renamed the file, Modx would not work, yet with this .ataccess file, Modx does work! That seems plain weird to me.

Thanks.
          • 216 Posts
          Hmmm.

Confused again. I had already removed the redirct at some stage. FrontPage extensions were not enabled.

Can you explain what the purpose is of the other entries in the .htaccess file?

Oh, an old memory is coming to me. I think I may have added this .htaccess file a log time ago for a YaBB forum to prettify the url. Does that make sense?

I’ll see if I can dig up the original instructions/code somewhere.