We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 122 Posts
    The set up instructions say to create a blank file in /manager/includes/ called config.inc.php and to set permissions to 777 - I guess so install can write settings to the file.

Once install is complete there is no mention of whether or not these permissions should be changed to something less global. Should they? If so, to what?

Thanks!

• Quote from: myan24 at Apr 14, 2006, 02:48 PM

The set up instructions say to create a blank file in /manager/includes/ called config.inc.php and to set permissions to 777 - I guess so install can write settings to the file.

Once install is complete there is no mention of whether or not these permissions should be changed to something less global. Should they? If so, to what?

Thanks!

Actually, file permissions for writability only need to be 666 (777 for folders that need to be writable) during the installation. Once installation is complete, the config.inc.php file should be set back to read-only, which may differ in actual permissions, depending on how PHP is configured in your web server environment. Typically it is 644. The other permissions should remain writable per the installation instructions. I’ll try and get this reflected clearly in the documentation.

Note, this is not necessary in environments running PHP in CGI mode (vs. Server API mode), which is becoming more popular on shared hosting systems thanks to FastCGI processors like phpSuExec.
        • 122 Posts
        Thanks Jason!

Just wanted to make sure!

grin