We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 216 Posts
    Hi,

I’m a complete newbie, and cannot code, so please bear that in mind. wink

I have a menubar that I’d like Modx to manage automatically. It is three parts, the first being breadcrumbs, a differently styled middle section displaying either siblings or subpages as appropriate, and then a few styled like the first section with static buttons (Site Map, login, and Registration). The active page button is also styled differently.

I need the middle (siblings/sub-pages) section and it’s associated html to completely disappear if there are no options to show, so that the bar displays seamlessly. I also need need to add "›" automatically to items in breadcrumbs; "»" to the last breadcrumb if that is the page displayed (I guess this would just be the snippet to call the menu name for that page) and for it to use my "active" styling, but when at the bottom level, this should instead use "›" (and no active styling), and the active page will be one of the siblings. The options/siblings will have bullets added, whether or not active, and the active page will again need to use my active styling.

I have a feeling that this sounds very confusing, but actually, it works very well, and is pretty easy to edit. However, I’d like this to be completely automated, so that a couple of others, who cannot code beyond very basic html, do not have to worry about the menu bar if they are adding a new page.

I’ve took some screen shots so that you will better understand. I know the last one is not quite right, but that’s because I treated the menu as three separate blocks, but will tweak it so that it is one main block, and a nested block for the sub-pages/siblings.

Maybe I should just create the TVs I need and do this by hand for now, but I really would like to get it fully automated using Modx menu snippets.

Any hints and suggestions about an approach would be most welcome.

Thanks.