We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 61 Posts
    I need to have two types of pages: those that are managed by both Admin and my "Content Editor" role and those that are only managed by Admin.

• I set up a "Content Editor" role and created a user who has that role assigned to them.
    • I created a "Content Editors" user group and assigned the "Content Editor" role to it.
    • I created a couple of document groups that reflects content types that will be manageable by content editors ("News" and "Galleries").
    • I assigned the appropriate pages to those content groups.
    I have one page that only Admin should be able to manage. I didn’t know how to limit access to it, so I created another content group called "Core" and assigned that page to it. Shouldn’t that be all I need to do? The admin-only page is no longer in a document group for which the content editors have permissions. However, when I log into the manager with the user account that is a member of the content editor role/group, they can still edit the contents of that admin-only page.

I hope I’ve been clear enough with my explanation. Does anyone have any idea why it’s not working as I thought it should?

Thanks.
      Dave
      • 61 Posts
      Nobody?...

I’d really appreciate some advice on how to set up role, document groups, etc. in such a manner that I can have some of my docs that only admin can maintain but others that a "content editor" group can maintain and be responsible for.

Thanks.
        Dave
        • 3,250 Posts
        This post seems to have slipped through the cracks so to speak.

Did you link the document groups with the user groups via the "User/ Document group links" tab on the "Manager access permissions" page?
          • 61 Posts
          Quote from: Mark at Apr 06, 2006, 06:04 PM

This post seems to have slipped through the cracks so to speak.

Did you link the document groups with the user groups via the "User/ Document group links" tab on the "Manager access permissions" page?
          Yes, I linked the user group "Content Editors" to the "News" and "Galleries" document groups, I assigned the appropriate documents to each group. I then created a "Core" document group because I didn’t want the admin-only docs to be in either "News" or "Galleries" nor did I want them to be public. My problem is not that "Content Editors" can’t work with their docs, rather it’s that they CAN edit docs that are in the "Core" document group even though that is NOT one of the document groups that is linked to their user group.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for taking the time to help a MODx newbie!
            Dave
            • 61 Posts
            I take the silence as a sign that nobody has an easy answer. That being the case, could anyone explain to me how they would go about setting up a document that only the admin user can edit?
              Dave
              • 239 Posts
              This is possible to setup with documentgroups.

Assume the following setup:

Manager usergroups:
              mugAdmin
              mugContentManagers

Documentgroups:
              dgAdmin (is linked to mugAdmin. Read as anyone in the mugAdmin managerusergroup can edit documents assigned to this group)
              dgSomeContent (is linked mugContentManagers and to mugAdmin. Read as anyone in the mugAdmin or mugContentManagers managerusergroup can edit documents assigned to this group)

Manager users:
              TheAdmin (part of usergroup mugAdmin)
              TheContentUpdater (part of usergroup mugContentManagers)

Site:
              Page 1 (assigned documentgroup dgAdmin)
              Page 2 (assigned documentgroup dgAdmin)
              Page 3 (assigned documentgroup dgSomeContent)
              Page 4 (assigned documentgroup "All documents")

Each user will be able to edit the public pages and the pages in documentgroups that are linked with usergroups that the user is assigned to.

TheContentUpdater will be able to edit:
              - Page 3 because TheContentUpdater is part of the manager usergroup mugContentManager which is linked to documentgroup dgSomeContent
              - Page 4 because it is part of the special "All documents" group
              Note that TheContentUpdater will not even see Page 1 and Page 2 in the site tree in the manager because TheContentUpdater is not linked to dgAdmin in any way.

TheAdmin will be able to edit all pages.
              - Page 1 and Page 2 because TheAdmin is part of the manager usergroup mugAdmin which is linked to documentgroup dgAdmin
              - Page 3 because TheAdmin is part of the manager usergroup mugAdmin which is linked to documentgroup dgSomeContent
              - Page 4 because it is part of the special "All documents" group

So in short:
              - Create document groups
              - Create manager usergroups
              - Link documentgroups and manager usergroups
              - Assign manager users to manager usergroups
              - Assign documentgroups to pages
              - Done

That was a lot harder to write than to actually set it up on my site grin
              Common mistakes that I make is that I confuse dogumentgroups with manager users with manager usergroups so I added prefixes to my groups to avoid that. And sometimes I link documentgroups to webusergroups instead of managerusergroups. Make sure you keep those apart.
                • 61 Posts
                Thanks, Mitch. I’ll give this a try from home later tonight!
                  Dave