We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,213 Posts
    Hello,

I’m thinking wether I should add some slideshow display option to MaxiGallery or not.. Currently I’m thinking about "JonDesign’s Smooth SlideShow 2.0" what uses MooTools and seems quite good.

All user input on this is greatly valued. Thanks.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
      • 166 Posts
      its good to have a slideshow option.
      JonDesign’s Smooth SlideShow 2.0 seems to be good, but what i most miss about that is that you cant see when the next photo comes up.
        • 415 Posts
        Very smooth and only 17 kb for the moo and the slideshow script.
        I’d like to add this one to the sites I made, for promotionnal banner ie, can be usefull in gallery to but all images must have the same height.
        The top of the top is to display more than one image, and when you go to the right the images scrolls (smoothly) on the left and a new one appear.
        But surely not for today, just an idea. I think you have already lot of work.
          MODx Sites & Prestations: http://dp-site.fr [Last MODx Site]
          MODx Repository: [HOME] [MetaTagsExtra] / Current Dev: [xFDM]
          • 4,213 Posts
          I don’t think I would change the javascript very much.. I have done some changes my self to the slidebox and lightbox v2 scripts, but then they are bitch to update to new versions when I have to do the things all over again and keep up with the desing changes..

So if you guys know of a better slideshow script, suggest away.. I don’t think it would be that hard to implement that visible timer for the next pic in Smooth SlideShow 2.0 though.. but I wouldn’t want to do the changes my self as I have to support it then. Maybe it would be best to suggest these features to the developers of Smooth SlideShow. They might just do those. There are google group and email links at the project home site.

If you are going to suggest some other slideshow script, I think it would have to be a MooTools script as they seem to be the most compressed ones.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
            • 3,975 Posts
            I vote for MooTools based script, since MooTools is now in default distribution AFAIK and the most compact JS lib I’ve ever seen, with great functionality.

Keep up the great work doze!

best regards,

zi
              Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
            • There may be conflicts between various pieces on the front end, like anything that uses prototype.

The back end manager is a completely separate and isolated application that doesn’t have a lot of variability to it. It makes sense to use mootools in that application. But even then, much of the functionality/compatibility comes from a custom extension which Jeff has authored.

Despite the fact that lots of things are being ported to mootools for the manager, I think it’s still a bit early to recommend it for important front-end applications and functionality unless you’re willing to struggle through a few things. I bet that changes by year end though.
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 4,213 Posts
                Yes, I allready included slimbox to maxigallery as an option and it uses MooTools too.. That’s true that there are problems with using MooTools in a same page together with prototype/scriptaculous if the scripts are not done correctly. From my little experiments, I noticed that including MooTools to the document breaks the javascript menu on MODxHost template and AjaxSearch snippet on all templates.. but QuickEdit is working fine.

So from MODx default content point of view, if you are not using MODxHost template or AjaxSearch snippet, I don’t think there’s any problem. And if you have your own template / javascripts, it’s your job to make sure that they work with MooTools included.

It doesn’t matter though that what javascript libraries are included in MODx and what are not, because I can’t use them anyways. The javascript libraries that MODx has reside in the /manager folder and nothing in the HTML source should point to /manager IMO, so I’m putting those libraries to maxigallery folder too anyways.. Also, MooTools can be downloaded as components and slimbox for example needs a lot less than the slideshow script, so they both have their own MooTools..

There might be a problem here too, if someone want’s to have slimbox and slideshow both in a same page.. I noticed that the slideshow script uses an older rev of MooTools than the slimbox, but that’s another issue. Anyways, I don’t understand why it would not be suggested to use MooTools already.

• 157 Posts
                  Whilst this is probably a silly thing for a person who wouldnt know javascript if it jumped up and bit him, and only knows a tiny bit more about php and CSS, I think that including display mode within a snippet serves to complicate it and potentially add future compatability problems.

Although I’ve yet to try MaxiGallery 0.5 with the new templating features (i fear they look way too complex for me) I think that using templates to define how a gallery is displayed, via javascript toys or otherwise, makes MaxiGallery more modular, which would allow the snippet to grow more fluidly (providing the opportunity for community developed display modes for example). Although I’m a new, it is far less daunting to develop small segments than having to investigate a key snippets core code.

Equally however, I realise that part of MaxiGallerys charm is in its abilty to make use of such funky display modes - and again, as a non-programming, non-designing new person(!) - this holds great appeal, it would be great if the code that currently exists to govern display could be exploded out into such "templates" wink

From a personal point of view I’m very keen on seeing the functional side of MaxiGallery expanded so if moving to a template orientated system could take some of the burden off doze i think thats a positive move.

Steve

BTW the Slideshow script mentioned is very cool! grin
                    • 4,213 Posts
                    Yea.. I implemented the slideshow script into MaxiGallery already.. I will put it to the SVN soon and pack the SVN version as a Beta 2. BTW, if I haven’t said it yet, there will still be alot of beta’s until the next version is final, so don’t worry if you do not see any "functional" improvement on this just yet.. Beta2 has some fixes that was reported from Beta1 and slimbox and that slideshow script.

About the intimidating looking default templates in v0.5; In the default templates, I have used PHx very extensively so that the default templates will work when user changes between different display modes. If you are wanting to do a custom template for your self when you want some specific look from your gallery, you can probably delete 95% of the default template code, eg. all the unneeded conditionals to make the template support only your display mode. The other way I could have done this is that I would have done separate templates for all the display modes and have the conditionals in snippet template selection, but it would have been just more work to do it that way.. so that’s why the templates may seem to look complicated.

But when you are wanting to do a custom template, just do a empty chunk and start adding the placeholders to the chunk and see what comes up.

Off to finish the beta 2 now..

• 4,213 Posts
                      Beta 2 available.

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.