We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 157 Posts
    Just a quick enquirey regarding the much mentioned new version of MaxiGallery, including template support.

I’m hoping to integrate MaxiGallery into a site that I’m developing over the next month and was wondering when the new version will be available?

I appreciate that the standard reply to such questions is "when its ready", which is more than fair considering the hard work that goes into it (!) however i read in another post that there is a feeling that there is little demand for a new version...just wanted to publicly disagree with that wink

Cheers,

Steve
      • 4,213 Posts
      Yeah, I haven’t still continued the development on it.. If you are needing it ASAP, you can get the newest code from SVN what is pretty much done, but there are some issues with the templating yet to be resolved.. But I guess I’m going to finish it sometimes soon, not this week though as I’m going to work trip, but I could probably take a look at it next weekend.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
        • 157 Posts
        Thanks for getting back to me doze.

Wasnt nagging - just expressing an interest smiley I’m not sure I’m up to fixing any bugs myself, not being a php coder and being new to ModX in general, but I might give the SVN version a try thanks.

Haven’t even developed my template yet, so was hoping to start with the new templating system rather than playing with the current table output thats all.

Cheers,

Steve
          • 4,213 Posts
          Altought, there could be some problems finishing the version with TBS as I’ve read in the forums that there are problems in running TBS with 0.9.5.. but I’ll see what I can do to it next weekend..

EDIT: and btw, I really wasn’t trying to sound rude to you earlier! I’m very glad to hear that there is still some interest to see the next version.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
            • 26 Posts
            Hi doze, thank you for this amazing piece software! There is in fact very much interest in the next version of maxigallery!

May I ask a few questions?

Would it be possible to have the first picture as default view, instead of the thumbnail index?

Is it possible to have a navigation like that: [index] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]...
            This would make for a very clean appearance.

It would be nice if something like this were possible:

Big Picture
            --------------
            Row of small thumbnails

Personally I try to have as little visual clutter as possible on a photo web page. So it would be great if it were possible to define the vertical and horizontal thumbnail size separately and also the zoom/crop property of the thumbnails. This way you could create a regular grid of thumbnails, (or a row of thumbnails with same height etc...) independent from size and proportion of the original picture.

Example: ...phpThumb..... &w=200&h=200&zc=1...

I am new to MODx, so please forgive me if some of these questions are already answered.
              www.waso.com
              • 4,213 Posts
              Quote from: waso at Sep 26, 2006, 11:01 AM

May I ask a few questions?
              Ofcouse! grin

Would it be possible to have the first picture as default view, instead of the thumbnail index?
              Not now, but I’ll make it possible in next version.

Is it possible to have a navigation like that: [index] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]...
              This would make for a very clean appearance.
              When the templating is done, you can format the paginator the way you want.

It would be nice if something like this were possible:

Big Picture
              --------------
              Row of small thumbnails
              Yes, I hope to achieve this possibility with the templating.

Personally I try to have as little visual clutter as possible on a photo web page. So it would be great if it were possible to define the vertical and horizontal thumbnail size separately and also the zoom/crop property of the thumbnails. This way you could create a regular grid of thumbnails, (or a row of thumbnails with same height etc...) independent from size and proportion of the original picture.

Example: ...phpThumb..... &w=200&h=200&zc=1...
              I have thought of starting to use phpThumb to generate the pictures, so original picture will be always available. But there are something to consider in implementing it. phpThumb takes all the "filters" in querystring, but for example watermark should not be possible to change that easily, because it’s used to protect the image usually.. I haven’t looked into phpThumb very much yet though, so don’t know if it allready provides ways to define some "static" filter variables and make some available via querystring.

• 26 Posts
                Thank you for getting back to me.

May I try to motivate you to look into phpThumb? wink

Please dont get me wrong, I absolutely love grin maxigallery and I think MODx is simply the best cms shocked available. Nevertheless I think the single most lacking part of MODx is its image handling.

In my opinion the most needed feature is being able to define image dimensions. As it is now, the gallery pages look somewhat messy in many sites. There is always some sort of big spacing in order to make up for different image proportions. If you want the images and the image gallery to be a integral piece of the design in your website, the images must have predefined proportions.

You could use a single picture of known dimensions, which will bring up the gallery, or you could use a row of images of same height, a column of images with same width, or a regular grid of images. You could put these in a side column, in the header,..... the possibilities are endless....

Thanky you again for MaxiGallery, I appreciate it very much. The above is not meant to be critique in any way. rolleyes laugh
                  www.waso.com
                  • 615 Posts
                  Quote from: doze at Sep 26, 2006, 08:14 AM

I’m very glad to hear that there is still some interest to see the next version.

Thank you so much for this amazing piece of software! I am very interested in the next version of maxigallery!
                    I think, thererfor I am! But what I am, and why...?
                    • 31 Posts
                    hi,

maybe a silly question but where can i get the "preview"-version maxigallery 0.5? i took a closer look at the svn-version but i dont know how to deal with it.

thx,
                    slackstar
                      • 4,213 Posts
                      There is no working copy currently, the version in SVN is still under development.. I’ll try to finish off the templating this week and then it will be in runnable state. There are still work to do on it after that though (meaning the features that are in the tracker)..