We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 52 Posts
    Very new to MODx, very impressed so far. I’m evaluating a few CMS systems for a live & recorded music site that I sold the client on the basis of a demo of Textpattern. But I have some doubts about TP at the moment, and so I find myself here.

Question is: does MODx allow templates to be assigned on the basis of inheritance from up the directory tree? Is there an override mechanism? All I’ve seen so far is assignment of templates on a document-by-document basis. Can templates be assigned programmatically at runtime?
      Web Designer
      PHP Programmer
      Cocoa Developer
      Boulevardier & Arriviste
    • You can have pages inherit the the base template of the parent folder via a plugin which will also be distributed as a standard part of the next release coming very soon. You can always override the template as well of course.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 52 Posts
        OK - is that a plugin that currently is available, and if so what is its name?

and: I take it that without the plugin, the default behaviour is to require setting of page templates page by page? Are there other systems (eg by categorization) to determine presentation automatically, either existing or in development?
          Web Designer
          PHP Programmer
          Cocoa Developer
          Boulevardier & Arriviste
          • Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 52 Posts
            sorry missed that last reply.

Excellent! Thanks so much.
              Web Designer
              PHP Programmer
              Cocoa Developer
              Boulevardier & Arriviste