We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 654 Posts
    Does anyone have any pointers, suggestions, etc. on how to get "wall" postings from a Facebook account to show up in MODx (Evo 1.0.3+)?

I don’t use Facebook much but had a conversation with someone who wanted to be able to pull the latest five (say) postings that they made on their FB Wall into a sidebar on their website. Searching the forums I see the thread on MODx and FB Connect, but I’m not sure what that does for me. And unless I’m doing a poorly structured search, I don’t see much else.

Has anyone done this and if so could you elaborate?
    TIA,
    MattC
      • 654 Posts
      Okey-dokey ...

Based on this work :
      http://www.acornartwork.com/blog/2010/04/19/tutorial-facebook-rss-feed-parser-in-pure-php/
      I came up with this snippet :

<?php
      $url = 'http://facebook.com/feeds/page.php?format=atom10&id='.$id;
      $maxnumber = $max;

/* The following line is absolutely necessary to read Facebook feeds. Facebook will not
      recognize PHP as a browser and therefore won't fetch anything. So we define a browser here */

ini_set('user_agent','Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3');

$feed = simplexml_load_file($url);  //Load feed with simplexml

$fb_array = array();  //Initialize empty array to store statuses	

foreach ( $feed->entry as $item ) {
      	if ($maxnumber == 0) {
      		break;
      	} else {
                     $desc = trim($item->title);
      		if ($desc == '') {
      			$desc = trim(strip_tags($item->content));
      		}

//Converts UTF-8 into ISO-8859-1 to solve special symbols issues
                     $desc = iconv("UTF-8", "ISO-8859-1//TRANSLIT", $desc);  //needed?

//Get status update time
                     $pubdate = strtotime($item->published);
                     $propertime = gmdate('F jS Y, H:i', $pubdate);  //Customize this to your liking

//Get link to update
                     $linkback = $item->link['href'];
      	       $pos = strpos($linkback, '://www.facebook.com/');
      	       if ($pos === false) {
                       $linkback = 'http://www.facebook.com' . $linkback;
      	       }

//Store values in array
                     $fb_item = array(
                            'desc' => $desc,
                            'date' => $propertime,
                            'link' => $linkback
                     );
                     array_push($fb_array, $fb_item);

$maxnumber--;
                } 
           }

$output = '';

$output .= '<ul>';

foreach ($fb_array as $k => $v) {
        $output .= '  <li>';
        $output .= ' <b>' . $v['date'] . '</b>';
        $output .= '' . $v['desc'] . '';
        $output .= '  <a href="' . $v['link'] . '" target="_blank">Link</a>';
        $output .= '  </li>';
      }

$output .= '</ul>';

return $output;
      ?>

(output has some empty quotes as I was messing around with styling and span tags ...)

which gets called in a doc template or sidebar chunk like this
      [!fb_feed? &id=`19110642979` &max=`5` !]

(where the id number is the id of the facebook site you’re interested in - in this case that of MODx)

The result is a style-able and click-able list of the most recent postings the facebook owner has posted to their Wall (assuming I understand all this correctly). Note that this would only work for a public site.

FWIW, the wall data - including the most recent comment, comment count etc. - is also available from the facebook api code. But it seemed like overkill and this was was more simple for my needs.

Matt
        • 2,310 Posts
        Thanks grin
        Works nicely.
          • 208 Posts
          Used exactly the same code as posted and for me I get this error:
          PHP error debug
            Error: 	simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: http://facebook.com/feeds/page.php?format=atom10&id=19110642979:1: parser error : Document is empty	 
            Error type/ Nr.: 	Warning - 2	 
            File: 	/home/username/public_html/manager/includes/document.parser.class.inc.php(770) : eval()'d code	 
            Line: 	9

I am editing this post as I think its my total lack of facebook knowledge that is the problem. The profile I have on facebook does not have any wall posting hence no output as I only set it up to get a key for the like buttons, what my plan was to show latest wall postings but these wont be mine so not sure if this can be done.

Thanks
            • 2,310 Posts
            I was the same, no wall. I think I just used a friends ID for testing
              • 70 Posts
              Working great!!!

Thanx Man...
                --
                www.spotkg.com
                • 22 Posts
                Very cool, just wanted to say thanks. Using this on a new bank site that I’m building and it works perfectly. cool