We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 39 Posts
    Hello Everybody!

I was wondering if there were any modx-driven forums which I could add for the "forums" part to my website : http://www.fiery-legends.de/ ?

I was really hoping not to include some crappy 3rd-party forum-in-built-thingy-which-looks-and-functions-in-such-a-ugly-way laugh

Best regards,

AR/Counterfire
      • 39 Posts
      push ^.^
        • 48 Posts
        Digital Butter - MODX Premiere Partners Reply #3, 14 years ago
        if you are using revolution you could try Shaun McCormick’s component ’discuss’, but I think it’s still in alpha: http://svn.modxcms.com/docs/display/ADDON/Discuss
          • 312 Posts
          For Evolution see :-
          http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,48674.0.html

The MODx forum uses SMF but is not *integrated*
            DEVELOPMENT ENV:- Ubuntu 12.04 | MODx Revolution 2.2.8 | LAMP 2i Apache 2.2.22 | Php 5.3.10 | Mysql 5.5.31 MySQL client version: 5.5.31
            • 39 Posts
            Quote from: allanb at May 02, 2010, 01:35 PM

For Evolution see :-
            http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,48674.0.html

The MODx forum uses SMF but is not *integrated*

What ?? He says vBulletin is integrated, you say something else?

I am unable to see a clear answer
              • 312 Posts
              I stated SMF was not *intergrated* with modxcms.com which runs on Revolution.

Reading posts on forum intergration it appears to have been posible in the past with SMF.

There are some threads on phpbb and vanilla not shure of results.

@BanzaiTokyo claims he has intergrated vBulletin I have not tried any of above was just trying to point you in a direction.

There seems plenty of info in this board on forum intergration maybe contact members who claim to have it working.

If you don’t mind 2 logins most would work.

DEVELOPMENT ENV:- Ubuntu 12.04 | MODx Revolution 2.2.8 | LAMP 2i Apache 2.2.22 | Php 5.3.10 | Mysql 5.5.31 MySQL client version: 5.5.31
                • 23 Posts
                Hi,

You could have a look at MyBB, it would allow you to use the MyBB Bolt-on plugin for ModX.

There are just 2 things that are broken for as far as I’ve noticed (I’ve installed it earlier today on ModX 1.0.3 + MyBB 1.4.13) and those things are the Latest Events + UserInfo. I’ve posted them on the support thread for MyBB Bolt-on, maybe I can fix one or both myself but I’m not a programmer so hopefully someone with some coding knowledge might come along to fix those 2.

But other then that all other features that allows you to put MyBB info on your modx website works pretty nicely. (like news headlines + comments, latest topics, forum stats, users online, etc.)

I have it setup on this page if you want a quick view on the things that are working:

• http://pleh.info/modx/index.php?id=51, all the blocks of information are chuncks so you can call them wherever you want for the site + styling for them is pretty straight forward. (I haven’t even done any styling yet)

The only thing you’ll be missing is the user integration but when you think about it you won’t need that part when you have this plugin, all normal users will interact via the forums and the "manager users" will have their own account for creating content on the MODx installation.

For me at least this type of integration is perfect.
                  Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'
                  • 128 Posts
                  I realize this is an very old topic, but, apparently is still relevant. I HAVE done a SMF integration on REVO... yes, revo... It was a royal pain, AND its super messy. Basically once you create a user account in modx it'll push over to SMF, if you delete a user account in MODx it does NOT delete in smf. Thankfully in my situation that wasn't a problem. I just wanted to post to say that it is possible, but its not polished, clean or, hoenstly, even recommended without a more flushed out connector.
                    I LOVE MODX! | greyskymedia.com
                    • 68 Posts
                    Quote from: greyskymedia at Jan 24, 2012, 03:53 PM
                    I realize this is an very old topic, but, apparently is still relevant. I HAVE done a SMF integration on REVO... yes, revo... It was a royal pain, AND its super messy. Basically once you create a user account in modx it'll push over to SMF, if you delete a user account in MODx it does NOT delete in smf. Thankfully in my situation that wasn't a problem. I just wanted to post to say that it is possible, but its not polished, clean or, hoenstly, even recommended without a more flushed out connector.

How did you managed to integrate SMF with Revo?
                      IntoVPS - VPS hosting service with super-fast response.
                      If MODx does not suit your needs then you have a lack of imagination.
                      • 128 Posts
                      We ported the evo smf connector and hacked hacked hacked. It's NOT an ideal solution, but we were able to get it working.
                        I LOVE MODX! | greyskymedia.com