We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 526 Posts
    Hi,
    Not sure this is the right place to post...

I may be, will be involved into a new project where a web site will be very classical, with quit no special stuff except it will deliver a huge catalog of 50 000+scientific items.

No e-commerce, but must be a solution to find out (full text search, form with some significant fields search...) any item from a partial name, numbers or whatever..

My question is :
    As the full DB must be imported from a csv export coming from another application, (and updated once or twice a year) what is the best approach :

• to create a specific DB and call things with pure sql or
    • to create one CMS page per item with a bunch of TV for all needed fields.
    and as consequence of 2,
    May be some one has experience about doing this and could give me some tips ?

Thank you
      Schtroumpf Grognon - Grouchy Smurf
      ---------------------------------
      Faites pas attention.. - Don't pay attention
      http://www.dzi-neo.net
      • 386 Posts
      therebechips Reply #2, 15 years ago
      Option 1 without a doubt! Create custom tables and use modx documents only for views of the data, eg master listing page, detail page, search form, all can be delivered easily via snippets. You can also create a secure admin area on the front end by setting up access permissions with modx webusers and groups and using a snippet to provide the crud for your custom tables (or you can create a module if you want the admin in the Manager). Create indexes on the database columns that will be searched to speed things up.

Snippets: GoogleMap | FileDetails | Related Plugin: SSL
        • 4,205 Posts
        I agree with option 1. Option 2 would not work in 096x branch since it will most likely go over the document limit (dictated by the cache system).

Another possible method would be to check with the core team and try using Revolution for this project. The Revo cache should allow you do use 1 doc per item setup. wink
          [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
          Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
        • Quote from: dev_cw at Apr 14, 2009, 07:00 PM

I agree with option 1. Option 2 would not work in 096x branch since it will most likely go over the document limit (dictated by the cache system).

Another possible method would be to check with the core team and try using Revolution for this project. The Revo cache should allow you do use 1 doc per item setup. wink
          I wouldn’t recommend building a 50,000 page site with any release of MODx, present or future. Definitely option 1. Presenting a single dynamic view of a custom table of 50,000 items is much more efficient than having the CMS manage urls and metadata for 50,000 resources. Let MODx manage the views, and your custom scripts access, cache, and present your data in those views as needed.
            • 526 Posts
            well,
            Thank you

I guess it’s clear now.

Sooooo...I just needa a skilled php dev (not me!) embarrassed

ps: I did not received any notification of replies (notify me is actually active) (??? is this normal)
              Schtroumpf Grognon - Grouchy Smurf
              ---------------------------------
              Faites pas attention.. - Don't pay attention
              http://www.dzi-neo.net
              • 956 Posts
                • 7,075 Posts
                Quote from: ganeshXL at Apr 15, 2009, 01:33 PM
                Hint: Use dbEdit for CRUD: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,32720.0.html

I had missed that, now you got me interrested thanks for the link !
                  .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id