We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 59 Posts
    Hello there,

I’m about to dive into a very interesting project. My client has requested a forum, and since I intend to build the site using XHTML 1.0 strict + CSS, I’d prefer if the forums followed suit.
    What do you recommend?

edit: having a look at SMF RC2. Do you think this would be a wise choice? smiley
      • 956 Posts
      SMF is XHTML transitional compliant. Are you sure you absolutely need XHTML strict?
        • 59 Posts
        I’d really prefer it. I’m not quite sure why people are using XHTML transitional at all since -- as far as I understand it -- the main difference is tags that no web developer with pride has used since the dawn of CSS.
          • 90 Posts
          You may want to check out this article on html vs. xhtml:

http://www.sitepoint.com/newsletter/viewissue.php?id=3&issue=107#4

Just food for thought.
            Jeremy Foster
            • 59 Posts
            Food is good.

The main reason for adapting XHTML (ignoring MIME types) is that its syntax, simply put, is nicer than HTML. That IE6 doesn’t accept the text/xhtml+xml MIME-type is unfortunate but the document can then be served as text/html too -- but maybe this yields a DOCTYPE conflict?
            When IE6 is finally reduced to the bad memory status it deserves, I’ll cork up a bottle of champagne instead of rewriting my HTML files wink
            • XHTML transitional is XHTML.
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 24,544 Posts
                Quote from: rthrash at Feb 18, 2009, 09:01 PM

XHTML transitional is XHTML.

And I think IE7, in addition to IE6, treats both strict and transitional as HTML so for a huge chunk of users, you’re still using HTML.

I try not to lose any sleep over wink doctypes as long as the pages look good in almost all browsers.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                  • 1,131 Posts
                  The main reason to avoid XHTML transitional is that it allows for behavioral attributes that have been deprecated from the strict doctype. If you build a site using a transitional doctype and later decide to update it and change it to a strict doctype then you’ll have to remove any links with a "target" attribute and other things like that. Better to stick with a strict doctype to ensure that your code is adhering to standards of markup as much as possible. Plus, it’ll help you alleviate some bad habits. smiley

Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."