We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 66 Posts
    I could be completely missing something here, as I know MODx is an Application Framework too, so should lend itself to what I want to do, but... (in fact, just typing that has just made me realise a whole new way of thinking about my installation, and how to take advantage of the power there).

Anyway. I have built an application for my website, which will be installed on a subdomain. I would like to integrate the user information into it (e.g. user ID, logged in status, username, group(s)...). It happens to be constructed in CodeIgniter, but this is probably not relevant.

The question: how do I gain information (e.g. as above) and use it externally to MODx? I see the excellent API function calls, and their documentation, but how do I gain access to these calls in the first place? Are they internal only?

• There is an add-on called MODxAPI for the current releases (0.9.x/Evolution) that can help you gain access to some of the functionality and API calls, but it is limited and was not architected in a way that makes integrating all of the pieces easy, especially when it comes to users and sessions. MODx sessions cover requests that are handled by MODx, and MODx users are tied to those sessions.

The MODx Revolution re-write was undertaken to provide the same great CMS functionality that the current releases provide, while also providing an easy-to-invoke object-oriented model that can be utilized in any code to various ends. Revolution is about to enter beta phase, so depending on your requirements and time-constraints, it may make more sense to get involved in Revolution development for this integration project. However, if you are time-limited, you may be able to find a way to make it work with the current releases; it’ll just take some work to come up with that solution.
        • 66 Posts
        Hi OpenGeek, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I used MODx because it offered the functionality to extend and support a number of different scenarios on my website and applications, without adding complexity. Remembering that, and taking your advice into account, I think I will work on integrating the beta, for a number of reasons:

• My website is still undergoing development - I have the concept, but am still pulling it all together. There’ll be no better time to do it than this.
        • It will give me the greatest advantage when it comes to functionality, and understanding how my framework fits together
        • It gives me a good opportunity to get involved in the development of this new software in some way. This post has been a little useless to others reading it, but perhaps I can contribute by helping to fix this problem for others in the future.

So far, the software MODx has lived up to the excellent reports I read of it. More importantly, so have the community!
          • 589 Posts
          Quote from: coffee_bean at Jan 13, 2009, 06:24 PM

So far, the software MODx has lived up to the excellent reports I read of it. More importantly, so have the community!

For quick’n’dirty integration into MODx Evolution environment try something like this:
          http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Use_AJAX_with_modxAPI#backend_php_program_:_assets.2Fsnippets.2FmemberList.2FmemberCard.php
            • 66 Posts
            Nice shortcut, thanks. It is similar to what I am after, but probably a bit too quick and dirty for my needs. Thanks for sharing anyway.
              • 24,544 Posts
              Quote from: coffee_bean at Jan 13, 2009, 06:24 PM

I

• My website is still undergoing development - I have the concept, but am still pulling it all together. There’ll be no better time to do it than this.
              • It will give me the greatest advantage when it comes to functionality, and understanding how my framework fits together
              • It gives me a good opportunity to get involved in the development of this new software in some way. This post has been a little useless to others reading it, but perhaps I can contribute by helping to fix this problem for others in the future.

This is exactly the kind of help we need. It’s great to have people testing Revolution who are trying to do things beyond just having a basic brochure site.

Welcome aboard -- we look forward to your feedback. smiley

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting