We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 16 Posts
    I’m working on a chunk that is going to do the following:

+-----------------------------------------+
    | +-----+ +-------------------+ |
    | | | | | |
    | | img | | | |
    | | | | | |
    | +-----+ | | |
    | | | |
    | +-------------+ | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    | +-------------+ +--------------------+ |
    +-----------------------------------------+

The boxes without any markings are text blocks. The above template is for the detailed story display, i.e. when you click on a content link you go to a page with the above type of display.

In Firefox >1.5 you have the moz-column attribute that allows you to split a DIV-block into its constituent columns. Any text in the first column below the image is then automatically flowed into column 2.

.content {
    moz-column: 2;
    }

But IE can’t do columns. Has anyone worked on a way to get around this in IE? I realize that this feature of Firefox may not be that known. I just stumbled over it myself a couple of days ago, although it was defined by W3 in 2001...
      • 7,075 Posts
      This CSS3 spec is awaited with impatience, most definitely !

I remember having to build a website with a 3-column setup, similar to magazines and newspaper. Luckily, someone @Textpattern’s had built a plugin that allowed to split content in several columns, called jcb_columnize.

I don’t know if someone could pick something up in the code of the plugin and port it to MODx... maybe post this in the Wishlist with a reference to this txp plugin, who knows ?
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 52 Posts
        Here’s a very simple and effective javascript implementation of CSS3 multicolumns. Works in IE too.

Cheers!
          • 7,075 Posts
          You’re right, I failed to mention this because personnally I don’t like having columns implemented in js - it won’t degrade gracefully if js is turned off - that’s why I’d rather have a server-side solution (i.e snippet).

But yeah, it’s a solution too...
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 16 Posts
            Yeah, the degrading was my thought too. I’m having a hard enough time getting CSS with DIVs to work the same in IE & Firefox - and then if you introduce client side scripting languages... smiley

• 14 Posts
              MrMercutio,

This worked for me . . . no JS, just the moz columns
              http://www.bytefarmers.com/log/2005/09/30/css3-multi-column-demo-for-firefox/