We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • This is an auto-generated support/comment thread for Polls Module.

Use this forum to post any comments about this addition or any questions you have regarding its use.

Brief Description:
    Allows for web polls to be created for your site.

See also:
    Previous thread (includes earlier versions)

Garry Nutting
      Senior Developer
      MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
      Twitter: @garryn
      Web: modx.com
      • 1,097 Posts
      Nice module!

I’m about to release an add-on for this that has the following features:
      • No need to pass through ID, it picks up the most recent one
      • Shows results-so-far on submission
      • Shows previous poll results also
      • Works with Ajax
      There are some teething issues with the Ajax (similar to AjaxSearch) and so I’m probably going to hold back on a full release until after 0.9.5 comes out. It’ll probably turn up in In Development before the end of the week.

Whilst developing this, I ended up with a lot of votes in a poll, which I then reset. However, the total votes didn’t reset! I know I can change this in MySQL, but I wondered if there’s any plans for a ’Recalculate Total’ function - or indeed what future development there is planned for Polls Module.

Also, I see that it is possible to spoof a form to lodge a vote for a poll option from a different poll, as there is no correlation between poll option and poll id.
        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
      • Sounds excellent, Paul! Can’t wait to see it smiley

Just one question, with not passing the ID through for the poll, does your addon facilitate having concurrent polls on a site? eg. in different sections.

As for future development, this module has been on the backburner for a while but I will definitely look at getting a patch release out to rectify the two issues you’ve raised above. My current plan of work is to finish off some bug fixes for the 0.9.5 release, complete my Autolink module overhaul I started (about 50% complete) and then revisit this module for a review.

Just as soon as I get rid of this stinking cold I went down with over the weekend ... sad
          Garry Nutting
          Senior Developer
          MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
          Twitter: @garryn
          Web: modx.com
          • 1,097 Posts
          Quote from: garryn at Aug 21, 2006, 08:09 PM

Just one question, with not passing the ID through for the poll, does your addon facilitate having concurrent polls on a site? eg. in different sections.
          Oh, I didn’t make that clear - you can still pass through the ID if you want / need to, but if you just want to show the most recent poll you don’t have to. And indeed passing through the ID will make it slightly quicker as it doesn’t have to query for the latest poll. I was asked for this "don’t specify ID" facility; it’s not something I’d actually recommend at the moment because there’s no way of distinguishing between a poll that is being added and one that is ready.

It would be nice to have a dropdown poll status of "In Preparation" / "Live" / "Closed", as that would mean that users could work on Poll 7 while the site still displayed Poll 6. And poll start / end dates would be handy also.

But yes, 0.9.5 comes first.
            No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
            • 228 Posts
            This looks really cool and I’m anxious to try it out.... however

After pasting the module code into the create new module, I get the following

Forbidden
            You don’t have permission to access /modx/modx092/manager/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I read through the other post, but unfortunately (at least in this case) this doesn’t seem to be an issue that has popped up for anyone else. Not sure if this would be a possible issue, but I am running with mod_security on the server.

help sad
              | Identity Developments delivers SEO focused web design and web presence services
              - it's not about websites, it's about your identity. |
            • Yes, something in the code is falling afoul of a mod_security setting.
                Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                • 228 Posts
                Yep, that was it.

I was too tired last night/this morning to think about it... as far as the solution anyway... so I just turned off mod_security for the manager folder and it created the module w/o a hitch.
                  | Identity Developments delivers SEO focused web design and web presence services
                  - it's not about websites, it's about your identity. |
                  • 107 Posts
                  Running:
                  Apache/1.3.34
                  PHP Version 4.4.2
                  MODx 0.9.2.1 (rev 1005)

Plugins
                  PHx 2.01

Module
                  Polls 3.0

I have both polls snippets enabled on a page:

[!pollvote? &pollid=`1` &redirect=`30` &onevote=true &ovmessage=`You can only vote once` &resultsbutton=true!]<br />

[!pollresults? &pollid=`1` &decimal=`0`!]

On the same page is the WebLogin snippet showing the ’Sign Out’ code. When you click the sign out link, a MODx parse error shows briefly reading:

`` is not numeric and may not be passed to MakeUrl()

The logout continues correctly, but is there a way to eliminate the parser error page from showing?

Thanks.
                    • 1,097 Posts
                    Can you confirm whether the sign out link causes the same error on pages without the poll?
                      No, I don&#39;t know what OpenGeek&#39;s saying half the time either.
                      • 107 Posts
                      It does not happen on pages without the poll.