We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 16 Posts
    Just wanted to fall down on my knees here and thank the powers that be for finding MODx. I’m actually making progress here! smiley

I’ve tried just about every big CMS there is: Mambo, Joomla, Typo3, Drupal, WordPress, and a lot more. All of them have failed me because they require me to learn the ins and outs of the system, and that gets in the way of doing what I want to do with the CMS. Some have looked very pretty when I’ve finished with them. Some have looked like beings you have to lock into a dark dungeoun for the protection of the public. Drupal comes to mind. And Typo3. These mutants will be put out of their miseries shortly when I overwrite them with MODx.

Now, I don’t mind a bit of coding in php or HTML. That comes as a given when you want to do this, but I do not want to commit to a long course of study just in order to understand the system. That gets in the way of what it is that I want to do, and it is not to spend a year coding mere taxonomic systems, and looking in the often non-existent documentation to find out why my attempts become monstrous. I want a balance, and I sort of want a bit of fairness from the system. I don’t know how to put it otherwize.

Anyway, all my attempts have always reached a point where I’ve dispaired about whether I’ll ever going to be able to do the task I want - that is write articles and publish them, and have it appear the way I want to do.

Now, however, though I don’t have anything to show because the work is being done on my local machine, I’m actually making a lot of progress. In mere days I will have done what I set out to do, and I can start to concentrate on my job - which is to write articles and publish them, and have it all look the way it is supposed to do.

And for that, thanks MODx dev team! You’ve got one supporter here. I’m poor, so I can’t give you cash, but I’m going to give you free adspace on my site. And I’m not talking about an obscure link deep in the site structure. My site will be fairly big here in Sweden when I’m done.
    • Congrats and thanks MrMercutio. laugh
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 16 Posts
        About the ad - I mean it. The site will go live in a couple of weeks, and it’s a site for a big swedish organisation that will spend quite a bit of money on search engine ads on google, overture, and local ad networks. Since I will run it I’ll be happy to put a banner ad for MODx into the banner loop. You just have to supply me with a flash/graphical ad. wink

I still have to figure out more about MODx, but right now I feel confident that I will eventually do so. And when I do, the site will go live. smiley
          • 1,131 Posts
          Fantastic, man! Glad to hear you’re liking MODx! Yeah, I’ve tried all of the other CMS’s: Mambo, Joomla, Typo3, Drupal, WordPress, etc. Alot of them do have a rather funky way of doing things and an even funkier API to boot. When I first started using MODx (which actually started with Eto), I quickly found it to be much easier to work with. Writing and modifying snippets with the API to meet your needs is pretty easy once you get your head around it.
            Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
            • 16 Posts
            Yeah, I know all about it. I’ll probably use the Big 3 (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal) for other things that doesn’t have such a specific requirements as this project has. They make quite pretty sites, particularly Joomla/Mambo. It is when you start to want to adapt these sites that you begin to understand what a monumental task that will become.

First, php and html isn’t so bad, it is just learning to hook the php/html into the system that requires you to set off on a six month crash course understanding the systems.

With the snippets, the template variables, it’s a breeze. smiley Now I won’t have to go to my bosses and tell them they have to spend tens of thousand of dollars on outsourcing this project. That makes me happy. smiley