We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 76 Posts
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is using MODx for large ecommerce sites? I’m quoting on a site that will have a starting product line of ~500 and looking to triple that in the future.

I feel that’s a bit much to handle with the MODx manager?

I’m currently looking at Magento and it seems to have the goods, with all the ecommerce bits and pieces well sorted, however the templating system is a lot more complicated than MODx.

Do you think there’s any way MODx can handle a big job like this? Or should I just bite the bullet and spend some time learning Magento? Or is there a better ecommerce platform?

Cheers
    Free
      • 160 Posts
      Have you tried the TreasureChest Module/Snippet?
      or
      FoxyCart

or outside MODx
      Virtuemart for Joomla

or

OSCommerce
        • 2,314 Posts
          • 76 Posts
          Thanks smiley

I haven’t tried TC or Foxy as I’ve read that it gets a bit bulky trying to handle so many items (500-1000).

I’m really not a fan of Joomla - for the same reasons I love MODx, so using that just for a shop seems a waste of time, I’d rather learn a fully blown ecommerce software than re-learn Joomla to only use it for ecommerce sites.

Thanks sharkbait, I’ll have a look at that one.

So has anyone used MODx for a similar product range? I would rather use it than anything else if possible/

Cheers
          Free
            • 834 Posts
            I’m using TC for a small client with a limited product range and while it’s alright, I don’t think it would be suitable for a major ecom range.

I’ve also looked at Foxy Cart and while it sounds promising, unfortunately there isn’t a lot of info on how to set it up. The tutes on the FC site are, shall we say, lacking in essential information.

So you’d be pretty much on your own if you went down that path.

I’d love to find a decent shopping cart ti integrate with Modx, then it would be perfect.

It already has Ditto and TV’s to handle all the product details and display, so all that’s really needed is something to process the orders.

Here’s hoping.

grin

Content Creator and Copywriter