On March 26, 2019 we launched new MODX Forums. Please join us at the new MODX Community Forums.
Subscribe: RSS
  • Hi,

I was wondering if it’s possible to do the following with foxycart and modx:

1. Create a gift voucher or discount for 5% if picked up from store and cash payment.
    Customer needs to sign in and create user name and print receipt so the store owner can identify the product with customer and discount it when they walk in.

2. Shipping calculator that will work out the price and delivery time and add it to the fee before the sale.

3. Inventory Calculator (I guess FoxyCart Inventory is the way to go)

Thank you
    • Hey man,

I’d certainly say that all of these are totally possible using FoxyCart - it depends on how good you are with JavaScript for the best results.

• 1. Foxy already has some discount options you might be able to mix their All-Units Quantity Discounts with what you need - maybe use their downloadable product as an alternative way for the customer to pay for the item in store later - they could choose an option to collect later (which actually selects the downloadable product) and then issues a receipt - you could then apply your 5% discount to the downloabable product.
      • 2. You could use JavaScript to calculate a different shipping rate per country, see this post from the Foxy forums which is similar to what you want. That example only changes the shipping depending on if your within Australia or outside Australia, but you could adapt it for each country, then also set a delivery time with each country too.
      • 3. Yeah, I’d take a look at FoxyCart Inventory - I’m working on a real time stock counter, so when an item it purchased it would also reduce the stock TV in MODx - what exactly would you want your Inventory Calculator to do?

Let me know if that’s been any help smiley
        MODX Ambassador for Thailand. Managing Director at Monogon, a web design and development studio based in Bangkok, Thailand. - Follow me on Twitter.
      • Quote from: Mallmus at Aug 17, 2008, 10:20 AM

maybe use their downloadable product as an alternative way for the customer to pay for the item in store later
        For a few different reasons you probably shouldn’t do that. You could use the "customer pickup" shipping choice though to allow the user to select that option. Tricky part would be applying the 5% discount, but that wouldn’t be impossible. A few different ways to make that happen depending on your needs (and depending on when you’re looking to do it; some new shipping functionality will make that easier in a future version). (Sorry Adam wink I’m not saying you’re wrong, but using downloadables for non-downloadables is awkward for shipping calculations.)

Quote from: xpix at Aug 14, 2008, 08:20 PM

2. Shipping calculator that will work out the price and delivery time and add it to the fee before the sale.
        FoxyCart has built-in automatic rate calculation for USPS, FedEx, UPS, and DHL (originating from the US only, currently). If you need another carrier added please post it on the FoxyCart forum. Is that what you’re after, xpix?

Quote from: xpix at Aug 14, 2008, 08:20 PM

3. Inventory Calculator (I guess FoxyCart Inventory is the way to go)
        Yeah, that’d work, and it’d be fairly easy to extend it if you need more complex inventory options.

Quote from: Mallmus at Aug 17, 2008, 10:20 AM

3. Yeah, I’d take a look at FoxyCart Inventory - I’m working on a real time stock counter, so when an item it purchased it would also reduce the stock TV in MODx - what exactly would you want your Inventory Calculator to do?
        Mallmus, that’s pretty much what the FoxyCart Inventory snippet does already, fwiw, unless I’m misunderstanding. If you’re extending the FoxyCart inventory snippet, awesome! wink

Need MODx Ecommerce? Try FoxyCart!
        • Thx for the answers.
          Right now I am trying to see if FoxyCart is the best solution for this project. Since I know Modx I wouldn’t start learning something like osCommerce but I might try Mangento or TreasureChest.

Here are my other concerns:

FoxyCart has built-in automatic rate calculation for USPS, FedEx, UPS, and DHL (originating from the US only, currently).  If you need another carrier added please post it on the FoxyCart forum. Is that what you’re after, xpix?

The client is based in Canada and it will ship world wide. Why is foxycart limited to US only? I’ve seen people from Australia using foxycart.

2. You could use JavaScript to calculate a different shipping rate per country, see this post from the Foxy forums which is similar to what you want. That example only changes the shipping depending on if your within Australia or outside Australia, but you could adapt it for each country, then also set a delivery time with each country too.

Is it secure to calculate the final price using javascript? Shouldn’t this be a server thing?

• Quote from: xpix at Aug 18, 2008, 05:10 PM

The client is based in Canada and it will ship world wide. Why is foxycart limited to US only? I’ve seen people from Australia using foxycart.
            The FedEx and UPS implementations work from Canada. USPS obviously doesn’t.
            Worth noting is that depending on where you are and how you need to handle taxes it might be an issue right now. We’re revamping FoxyCart’s tax handling to handle Canada’s craziness, but it’s not here yet.

Quote from: xpix at Aug 18, 2008, 05:10 PM

Is it secure to calculate the final price using javascript? Shouldn’t this be a server thing?
            With the current version you can actually have a little bit of flexibility, but our next version will lock this down. (It’s not easy to manipulate, but it’s possible. The flexibility allows you to do more advanced stuff if need be, which isn’t possible otherwise, but as we start to roll out some of our more advanced functionality we’ll be locking this down.) If you have concerns about this you can use the XML datafeed to verify your orders. (This can be built in to the upcoming FoxyBack-MODx backend that we’ll be releasing soon (which might be of interest to you; it’s super flexible).
              Need MODx Ecommerce? Try FoxyCart!
            • Worth noting is that depending on where you are and how you need to handle taxes it might be an issue right now.

Nice catch. This is my first shopping cart so I am not sure what I’m doing smiley