We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 898 Posts
    I think a snippet that installs the sql on first run is best. Then people who know how can update and tweak the sql/chunks/tv’s etc. And the script can grow that way. And it would be a simple install snippet and run once for newbies. That would probably be the easiest way to get new customers setup for foxy.

Chuck
      Chuck the Trukk
      ProWebscape.com :: Nashville-WebDesign.com
      - - - - - - - -
      What are TV's? Here's some info below.
      http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,21081.msg159009.html#msg1590091
      http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14957.msg97008.html#msg97008
      • 54 Posts
      @Chuck: maybe I’m confused about what you’re thinking, but wouldn’t that snippet be... well... not simple? The second ave trading site has a lot going on. I think there are over 100 products, a bunch of images, template variables, all kinds of snippets and such, lightbox, phpthumb, etc. Could that all be loaded into a single snippet? Coding up all the sql insert statements would be... interesting, considering how many tables are involved.

There are a couple tools under resources for backing up an entire MODx site, but I haven’t used any of them. Would that not be a good the way to go? For those familiar with MODx, setting up TVs and templates and chunks is no big deal... but for those who have never seen it before, it can be a little overwhelming. Just as you can do foxycart in 5 minutes, the first time you play with it, you still have to wrap your heard around what’s going on.

My thought was to provide something that could just be unzipped and started up, with everything in place. From there, products could be deleted and new products could be added with css adjusted and such. What do you all think?

That may not be possible, but that would be ideal, I think.
        • 361 Posts
        I think Chuck’s talking more about the chunks/TVs/snippets than an entire site structure. I think both approaches are useful. While it’s not difficult for somebody that’s familiar with MODx to set it all up, it’s fairly time consuming even for a seasoned pro. It’s at least a half-dozen TVs, probably as many chunks, some templates and some Ditto calls (that, depending on the setup, can be slightly complex), and etc.

I think we need to do both options. An entire site that you can unzip and modify as necessary, as well as a script to set it all up. Or something.
          Need MODx Ecommerce? Try FoxyCart!
          • 898 Posts
          Quote from: The at Jun 11, 2008, 05:00 AM

I think Chuck’s talking more about the chunks/TVs/snippets than an entire site structure.

Yeah, I was talking about a basic setup with some basic TV’s (maybe inventory, size, color). And the ditto template to display them.

Luke, you’re idea is way cool. Not what I was thinking- but definitely cool for a larger cart. I hadn’t thought of phpthumb, etc. I was thinking very basic catalog jump-start just to get someone going.

I’ve actually thought a snippet installer for some more popular snippets would be good (and was thinking of this in the above post). It would be a snippet that installed some base chunks/tv’s to edit) like:
          eForm: create page with base call, create form chunk, create thank you chunk, create reply/email chunk
          Wayfinder: create inner chunk, outer chunk, etc.

So Brett was right, I was speaking of a simple cart.

Chuck
            Chuck the Trukk
            ProWebscape.com :: Nashville-WebDesign.com
            - - - - - - - -
            What are TV's? Here's some info below.
            http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,21081.msg159009.html#msg1590091
            http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14957.msg97008.html#msg97008
            • 5 Posts
            A simple cart which can be used as a jump-start would be ideal, but even a more complex one would help. At least then newbies (like myself) could see how the calls are made by Wayfinder and Ditto, and then scale it down if needed.

By the way, the http://www.secondavenuetrade.com/ looks sweet - nice work.

Thanks
              • 32 Posts
              Hello,

Has there been any work on this of lately?. As seeing more code. Where to place my snip’s, TV, and other things into the right spots would be very helpful. I’m a bit of a noob still to modx(3rd site with it), and have yet to scratch the surface on what it can do. foxy cart is awesome so far. I’m working on my first e commerce store, so still have lots to learn, for both foxy cart and modx.

I’m just getting stuck on how to set things up so my product pages start coming alive. all the "tutorials" i’ve found i have followed, though there seems to be a missing piece somewhere, since the tutorials were a bit incomplete.

looks like i will also need lightbox, or phpthumb as well. As i cant be having the client make thumbs for the images. I need to have it as dummy proof as possible for the client to add new products, and manage inventory.

• Hey acidic, everybody,

Thought I’d chime in here since I’m working on three MODx/FoxyCart sites at the moment, so I could offer some help here...

all the "tutorials" i’ve found i have followed, though there seems to be a missing piece somewhere, since the tutorials were a bit incomplete.
                I know there are a few around, but which tutorials have you followed? - From your point of view, what would you find most useful tutorial wise? - would it be blogs like Net Tuts coving MODx and FoxyCart or more internal Wikis and Knowledge Bases?

As seeing more code. Where to place my snip’s, TV, and other things into the right spots would be very helpful.
                I have got a copy of Luke’s (from Foxy) "pre-configured" MODx/FoxyCart install, and I’ve also tried FoxyBack... which is more of a backend manager, which pulls your orders and transaction details into MODx - however, this doesn’t do any of the basics like Ditto, phpThumb, the chunks and templates - all of that would still be required.

Its early days for FoxyBack and the pre-configured install, so I personally like your way of going about it, building up the store structure so its unique for the project is probably the best way to go about it at this stage...

Generally setting up an eCommerce MODx site is a big task, and the broad basis are hard to cover, but I’m happy to help out in certain areas, where have you been having trouble?

foxy cart is awesome so far.
                heh
                  MODX Ambassador for Thailand. Managing Director at Monogon, a web design and development studio based in Bangkok, Thailand. - Follow me on Twitter.
                  • 32 Posts
                  http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration:modx:tutorial
                  was pretty help full in getting things set up.

The biggest link that i missed that wasn’t anywhere. Since i never used a ditto before then. i never thought of using ditto on my catalog pages to display the thumbs of the products with links to the product pages.

so an example of the ditto call, and the ditto template, would of been awesome.

Which i’m still having an issue with getting the products to display in the catalog pages the way i want with multiple products per line...

have yet to figure out where it is that will control this... either in my ditto template, or with CSS properties.

http://hollywood-furniture.com/index.php?id=58

I’m playing with a bunch of stuff so code may be all funky if you look at it...