We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,039 Posts
    Hi,
    perhaps some of the developers can give me a quick hint. If I don´t want the document parser to render MODx tags in <pre> or <code> or some self defined tags, how would be the best practice? Or how is it realised here on the modx documentation page? On my german site I want to create some tutorials and also in the integrated forum the parser doesn´t allow to write MODx tags like snippet calls and so on. Of course it´s possible to insert an HTML comment, but that is not very usable.

So, how is this made on the documentation site or what do I have to change in the document.parser.inc.php?

Thx in advance,
    Marc
      • 1,039 Posts
      Okay, did it myself by editing the documentparser.inc.class.php. If someone needs it:

function evalSnippets($documentSource) {

//added by mmd for not parsing <pre> tags part 1
      		preg_match_all('~\<pre>(.*?)\</pre>~', $documentSource, $fragments); //looking for <pre> tags, store them in $fragments
      		if ($fragmentsCount=count($fragments[1])) {
      				for($i=0; $i<$fragmentsCount; $i++) {
      					$fragments_replace[1][$i] = str_replace('[[','[*#[',$fragments[1][$i]); //replace snippet calls within
      					$fragments_replace[1][$i] = str_replace(']]',']*#]',$fragments[1][$i]); //<pre> tags with other chars
      					$documentSource = str_replace($fragments[1][$i],$fragments_replace[1][$i],$documentSource);
      				}
      		}
      	//end part 1

preg_match_all('~\[\[(.*?)\]\]~', $documentSource, $matches);

$etomite = &$this;

**SNIP**

//added by mmd for not parsing pre tags part 2
      		$documentSource = str_replace('[*#[','[[',$documentSource); //replace snippet placeholders 
      		$documentSource = str_replace(']*#]',']]',$documentSource); //with original
                     // end part 2

return $documentSource;
      	}

• 96 Posts
        Cute solution. You can turn your hack into a plugin, by making the first substitution on an early stage of the parsing process (for example, in response to a OnLoadWebDocument event), and the second one after the snippets have been evaluated, for example capturing the OnWebPagePrerender event.
          • 1,193 Posts
          ScottyDelicious Reply #4, 18 years ago
          a simple solution is to use HTML comments to break up the brackets in you snippet call. that way it wont be parsed.

an example you ask! ok:

[<!-- -->[DropMenu]<!-- -->]

would be displayed on the page as [[DropMenu]], but would not be parsed by MODx

-sD-

Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
            All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
          • Garry Nutting Reply #5, 18 years ago
            Quote from: ScottyDelicious at Apr 28, 2006, 06:15 PM

[<!-- -->[DropMenu]<!-- -->]
            That’s how I do it at the moment ... but a plugin would be kinda nice grin
              Garry Nutting
              Senior Developer
              MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
              Twitter: @garryn
              Web: modx.com
              • 55 Posts
              crossconnect Reply #6, 17 years ago
              If anybody still needs this a year later, try my solution:

http://rahul.rahul.net/modx-hints/fixedpre-tag.html

Rahul
                • 4,213 Posts
                Please create a thread for your plugin in "in development" forums and once it’s tested post to the resource repository.. Thanks a lot for contributing! Nice job!

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
                  • 576 Posts
                  How bout using to plugin to literally "Remove" everything within <pre> tags and set a placeholder with the content? This seems like a cleaner solution to me and less of a "hack"
                  <?php
                  /** System Events Selected: OnParseDocument */

/** Strip out $source in favor of a placeholder */
                  if (!function_exists('replace_pre_tags')) {
                  function replace_pre_tags($source) {
                  	if (is_array($source)) $source = $source[0];
                  	static $counter = 1;
                  	static $in = array('[', ']');
                  	static $out = array('[', ']');

$source = str_replace($in, $out, $source);

$ph = 'pre_content_'.$counter++;
                  	$modx->setPlaceholder($ph, $source);
                  	return '[+'.$ph.'+]';
                  }

// Run the replacements
                  preg_replace_callback('~\<pre>.*?\</pre>~', 'replace_pre_tags', $modx->documentOutput);
                  ?>
                  On second thought, you wouldn’t really even need to replace the whole tag with a placeholder... But oh well, have fun!
                    • 55 Posts
                    crossconnect Reply #9, 17 years ago
                    I created an "in development" thread as requested.

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14042.0.html

Rahul
                      • 55 Posts
                      I don’t know a lot about MODx internals, but presumably you are simply saving all the content enclosed within <pre></pre> tags, and restoring it just before it’s sent to the web client. If so, then I see no reason why it won’t work. But we do need to use some tag other than <pre>. Otherwise you still won’t be able to mention [!Wayfinder!] in the middle of a normal paragraph.

Either way, yours or mine, we seem to be copying large amounts of data. It could end up slowing down the system a lot.

Rahul