We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 87 Posts
    1. I really want to use the livesearch feature and I like it, but there are a couple of problems with it. Is there a way to not start searching until the minChar’s have been reached? Otherwise you have lots of fits and starts (particularly slow typers). The bigger problem is the Enter/Return key. Is there a way to ignore it when in livesearch? When a non-touch typist is typing in a search term, they will typically hit enter at the end and that starts the whole process over. Sometimes (or with some browsers) it will scroll your results back up to a blank box. If my javascript skills were better, I would try it myself. It looks like it needs to be in the doSearch area on line 107 in the ajaxSearch.js file. (eg. if s < minChar return false?)

2. I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but the opacity variable does weird things to Mac/Firefox 2.x, but only when it is trying to hide. I tried sending it out of the page (eg. left:-1000px), but that didn’t work. The good news is that FF 3b doesn’t have the problem. wherever you have the searchresults box hiding won’t refresh properly and will show the last webpage you were on. I don’t have a screenshot, because I am working on a PC right now. I have a Mac at home. grin

Eric
      Just learning the ropes.
      • 1,717 Posts
      1/ I haven’t the answer for the moment. I take the remark. But without any commitment on the answer

2/
      but the opacity variable does weird things to Mac/Firefox 2.x, but only when it is trying to hide
      I am not sure to understand. Could you reproduce this issue on my site. Type "chine" or "voyage" as searchword.
      This site runs under FF2.0 or IE6 or IE7 with the correct opacity behavoiur (IMHO wink ) Did I miss something ?
        • 87 Posts
        but the opacity variable does weird things to Mac/Firefox 2.x, but only when it is trying to hide
        I am not sure to understand. Could you reproduce this issue on my site. Type "chine" or "voyage" as searchword.
        This site runs under FF2.0 or IE6 or IE7 with the correct opacity behavoiur (IMHO Wink ) Did I miss something ?

It is only happening on a Mac with FF2. It doesn’t happen with FF3 or with any other combination of flavors. Your site looks fine on the Mac, so it must be some combination of fixed positions and other weird stuff I’m doing. I will try to pare it down to the bare essentials, so I can figure this out. The problem is we have styles that are generated along with external stylesheets, etc.

Thanks for your help.
          Just learning the ropes.
          • 87 Posts
          Ok, I’ve narrowed the problem down to 2 things.

<div id="ajaxSearch_output" style="opacity:0;filter:alpha(opacity=0);-moz-opacity:0.;" >

and

#top {position:fixed;

If I take out those opacity statements or set the banner to position:absolute, the problem goes away. FF2 just can’t handle it. I may see how easy it would be to change the opacity statements to display:none in javascript or just wait until FF3 Final comes out. That might be easiest.
            Just learning the ropes.