We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    Artificial.Intelligence Reply #1, 18 years, 2 months ago
    hey all!! (sorry for my bad english undecided )

I’m new in MODx and dont know much about it, but i’m very impressed what i’ve seen.
    BIG Thanks for this GREAT cms!!

I’ve built my own Template with a right column. But my questions are now, how i can use that right column!?
    How i can put content in it? What i must insert in my Template? And where i can control the content, on wich page it should be shown? huh

Thank you in advance,
    Artificial.Intelligence
    • Hi AI (hope you don’t mind the shortened version wink ),

First thing, welcome to the MODx community! smiley

As for the right column, any ideas what you’d like to place there? You can use it for anything that you’d use in your main content. For instance, you could use the DropMenu snippet to create a site navigation or the NewsListing snippet to show the most recent additions in a particular section of your site. In this regard, the choice is wide open, let us know some specifics and we’ll be glad to point you in the right direction wink

To control what you’d like on each page I would suggest looking at the documentation on Template Variables. These are great things to add to your template and will give you ultimate control over what you want to be displayed on different pages (and, if you get chance, check out the @INHERIT binding, you’ll never look back!)

Again, if you have any questions, then please post back - we’ll be happy to help,

Garry

Garry Nutting
        Senior Developer
        MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
        Twitter: @garryn
        Web: modx.com
        • 4 Posts
        Artificial.Intelligence Reply #3, 18 years, 2 months ago
        Hey Garry, thanks for your fast reply!! wink
        Thanks for welcome & the link to the documentation! kiss

What i want in the right column a child navigation of the (parent) horizontal navigation.
        I must check first the Menu System, how it works.. (saw it in the docu)

But the first thing is, that i can put static content in it, wich i can control in the Backend. Can you explain it fast, or it is a bigger thing? Otherwise i must study the documentation grin

thanks, Artificial.Intelligence

Quote from: garryn at Mar 12, 2006, 01:34 AM

Hi AI (hope you don’t mind the shortened version wink ),

First thing, welcome to the MODx community! smiley

As for the right column, any ideas what you’d like to place there? You can use it for anything that you’d use in your main content. For instance, you could use the DropMenu snippet to create a site navigation or the NewsListing snippet to show the most recent additions in a particular section of your site. In this regard, the choice is wide open, let us know some specifics and we’ll be glad to point you in the right direction wink

To control what you’d like on each page I would suggest looking at the documentation on Template Variables. These are great things to add to your template and will give you ultimate control over what you want to be displayed on different pages (and, if you get chance, check out the @INHERIT binding, you’ll never look back!)

Again, if you have any questions, then please post back - we’ll be happy to help,

Garry

• In your main template, you have a <div> or some other container for the right content. Put a TV tag there, such as [*rightColumn*]. Create the new TV, name it rightColumn, and put whatever static content you want. Each page will have that content. You can either edit this for each page (a form for it will be below the regular page content editor) or edit the original TV to change the default.

The @INHERIT binding is very powerful, it allows you to set the content for a section folder and all pages under that one will inherit that content instead of the default.

There are a number of snippets available for setting specific startDoc values for the DropMenu snippet, such as getParent, and getUltimateParent.
            Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
            Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
            Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
            • 4 Posts
            Artificial.Intelligence Reply #5, 18 years, 2 months ago
            Thanks Susan & Garry, you helped me a lot!! kiss
            Thank you so much! grin