We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7 Posts
    Hi Guys,

My question should be an easy one for you guys, but i’m just not getting anywhere with this one, so i’d thought i’d send it to the forum.

I have a sidebar that includes 3 boxes which are editable TV’s, this works fine. However, how do i keep them editable but display them accross all pages WITH the same data. For example, the user edits the sidebar on page 4 and all other pages are updated with the latest changes.

I hope i have explained it ok.

I know chunks will sorta do this, but I need the user to be able to edit them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Trav.
      • 1,495 Posts
      Quote from: blu at Mar 08, 2006, 12:36 AM

Hi Guys,

My question should be an easy one for you guys, but i’m just not getting anywhere with this one, so i’d thought i’d send it to the forum.

I have a sidebar that includes 3 boxes which are editable TV’s, this works fine. However, how do i keep them editable but display them accross all pages WITH the same data. For example, the user edits the sidebar on page 4 and all other pages are updated with the latest changes.

I hope i have explained it ok.

I know chunks will sorta do this, but I need the user to be able to edit them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
      Trav.

Use inherit binding.
      http://www.modxcms.com/inherit-binding.html

All you need to do is setup the default value on your TV to be @INHERIT.
      Now for every parent folder that you edit the TV, it will be inherited accros the sub folders and sub documents.
      Remember, it needs to be inherited from parent folder. So if you have several folders on level 0, which doesn’t have parent folder, you will need to edit each one of them manually.
        Wendy Novianto
        [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
        [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
        • 7 Posts
        Hey D,

Thanks for your response. I have done what you said, but it hasn’t worked. This is my tree structure:

Root/
        home
        testpage

both pages use the same template.

I added the @INHERIT to the TV’s Default Value. Caching is turned off on the whole site.

I also tried this structure:

Root/
        home
        New Folder/
        testpage

thinking that the testpage would inherit the TV content from the parent directory. But this didn’t work either.

What am i doing wrong?

Cheers,
        Trav.
          • 1,495 Posts
          Did you put a value on your TV located in root folder? Make sure that you remove the @INHERIT. What I mean by that, when you set the default value to @INHERIT, the TV value on your root folder will automatically set to @INHERIT, now you need to clean that up and substitute with whatever value that you want. Save your doc, and that’s all, your home and testpage will inherit the root, as long as you don’t edit the value on them manually.
            Wendy Novianto
            [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
            [font=Verdana]Xituz Media