We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 14 Posts
    How do you make TVs and DropMenu work together? DropMenu works great for creating category navigation, because I have a folder for each category. Index pages for each category are created automatically with "startDoc=[*id*]". Will it display by custom fields (TVs) such as [*brand*] so users can navigate by brand, in addition to category? Also, I want the output on these index pages to include a TV of [*thumb*] so a thumanail pict appears next to the title of each article. How can you do that?

PS: I’m impressed with MODx. I had it up and running in 10 minutes and less than 2 weeks later it’s almost ready to go live. There’s a lof of flexibility and the GUI is straightforward.
      • 1,039 Posts
      Hi,

Will it display by custom fields (TVs) such as [*brand*] so users can navigate by brand, in addition to category?

Could you please be more specific? You have a menu that displays the categories (do you have examples?), and now you want to display an additional menu which is categorized by brand? How are these articles related? Like

-motorcycles
      -cars
      -vans

on one hand and

-BMW
      -Chrysler
      -Honda

on the other hand? Perhaps it´s better you type in your structure wink

Also, I want the output on these index pages to include a TV of [*thumb*] so a thumanail pict appears next to the title of each article

The title is displayed in your template like <h1>[*pagetitle*]</h1>, so you can easily put your TV in front of that like [*thumb*] <h1>[*pagetitle*]</h1> or similar. Additionally add an empty selection to your choices in that TV. If there is "empty" selected, there will nothing be displayed.

Greetz Marc
        • 14 Posts
        Yes, your examples below are what I’m talking about. There are folders (categories) for: motorcycle/car/van. Within those folders are many brands: BMW/Chrysler/Honda. Since it’s a database, it should be easy enough to automatically generate indexes by brand. Maybe with DropMenu if it can handle TVs, or a type of SQL query if not? Is there a better widget/snipped to do this than DropMenu?

The template I’m using for folders calls DropMenu within a non-editable section. Therefore, I don’t touch those index files. There’s no way to insert a TV normally because the list of titles is generated by DropMenu.
          • 14 Posts
          Think I may have found this solution, by using NewsListing snippet. See these posts

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,2620.0.html
          http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,1531.0.html
            • 14 Posts