We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8 Posts
    Hello guys and gals! My first post here, so greetings to everyone.

Thx a lot to the founders of MODx that gave birth to this marvellous baby and to the community that will help growing it up, as it should. Hats off to David M. for the brilliant presentation help and guidance he gave to everyone over at Webmaster’s Hub. Merci bcp David, sans toi je n’aurai pas connu MODx. This became a long intro but I really care to give it properly ‘coz nowdays picking up a good CMS with web standards in mind and a powerful API is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Finding one is like breathing pure air.

Overview
    This might be a long post to read as I like to keep things ordered and give enough details to help you out figuring out proper suggestions.
    My partner and I were approached by an association that needs a complete redesign of their actual site. As always with small companies and assos all the web projects, are not in the top priorities list and left for the last minute, so we are in a really short delay to get the job done. Hence we didn’t opt for a specific dev from scratch, but instead we started looking around for a good CMS that will take off from our shoulders an important part of the job. Most of the others CMS we have experienced with in the past, are either too complicated, not enough adaptable or do not fully respect the web standards. There are a series of technical implications that I’ll try to describe as best as I can as we are still in the analysis stage and we still are trying to better understand the use of tv, chunks and snippets as the fundamental elements to personalize that future site.
    We have to start off from an already validated art design, which we have to fully respect so we have no “carte blanche” in the way we will represent the content. We have the psd files for each and every page and the look should stick to them. Go here to see a quick mock-up of the front-page I made for you guys, so when we’ll talk about blocks numbers later on, you’ll know what I have in mind. http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3272/mockup3dt.jpg

Now back to business

Designing the blocks.
    As you see the site is composed in classic blocks. There are 2 issues with the blocks:

-There are block that repeat themselves in several pages. I think that’s where tv, chunks and snippets will come to play their role. If we figured it out correctly on how they work, we should integrate those tags into the template to show the blocks where we would like them to be. That’s ok if the blocks were to stay in one place in all the pages they’re needed to appear. In fact they don’t; we have block 4 being displayed for example in page 4 on the placeholder of block 1, in page 5 on placeholder of block 3 etc. So we have repeated content, moving in different places in different pages. Do you think the best idea would be to make per page templates?

-Pushing content to blocks, from manager interface.
    We will be working on pixel basis for this site and that makes it difficult to push content in some blocks like Block3 that includes 4 other Blocks with precise sizes. I thought a good way to look at it was to use create 4 pages for every block a, b, c and d and style it up to fit the specified size. Is that the way to go? What is your reflection on the thumbnails next to them? From an editor perspective it’s ok to include a photo next to the text using the wysiwyg functions for the full pages that each block will open up, but how to push a summary in the frontpage with a thumbnailed photo next to them? Doing that without modifying the database and some php coding, that’s a mystery to us.

Contact form
    I was pleased to see that you made it easy to make up a form with several subject options that can be sent to different email addresses. I’ll be in need to put a link in a “Page X” that will fire up the contact form and automatically select as a subject “Question X” and same thing for “Page Y” that would select “Question Y”. Is this something that can be accomplished using snippets or should we code this the hard way?

Content in a pop-up
    There are contents to be added to the site that would require not full pages as there are just a couple of lines + a photo. Although I do NOT like pop-ups at all, I wasn’t able to argument a change on this. If we had a classic content page, there wouldn’t be any problem firing up a pop-up using the wysiwyg functions. However in our case we want to associate that pop-up with the “read more..” link of the summary text. Any ideas how to work that out?

Limiting the image size
    We would like that all the full content pages that contain images use images of a given size. We considered the easiest way was to point the editors to use any classic image utility software. Using a batch process to auto-size images to our dimensions and then update them, was not the taste of our client. They want to cut all the extra tools in the editing workflow process and want to use images of whatever size they have and it’s our job to restrict the size that the images are displayed. What about that huh? Who mentioned imagecopyresampled() ?

Archive or Library
    I haven’t gone yet into details about the archiving functions of MODx, so sorry if this is has been covered. We would like that at some point in time the editors choose to archive pages into the Archives or the Library (the name hasn’t been decided yet). That cannot be necessarily only using publishing/expiration functions. They would like as well to add pages directly to the archive/library. We think it will be a good idea to create an archive/library folder, so the editors would add manually content pages into this folder. The trick is moving around expired pages. We would like to manage let’s say last week editorial which expired Monday. Is there any way to move pages to a given Folder (like Archives/Library) upon their expiration date and republish once inside that folder? If removing expired documents is done manually is there any way to republish them automatically by playing around with the parent folder status? All this so the editors won’t have to do several actions to get something done.

AJAX implementation
    We have a page where we thought to include some flash content because we wanted to have this effect http://www.aflax.org/examples/video3/video.html . Then the content kept growing so it was not an option anymore for the sake of content searching within the site and from the SE robots. Any pointers on how-to achieve that effect using AJAX in MODx?

That’s all for the moment folks. If you’re still awake and reading these lines, I’m already thankful for the time you took. Any form of input to this thread will be more than welcome. I could advance in this project with your help and let you know of the advancement as it can help anyone when working on a site, under specific conditions from the client.

Cheers

p.s. smoke time.
      -=No signature, is indeed a good signature=-
      • 7,075 Posts
      Quote from: MasterBlaster at Mar 06, 2006, 06:14 PM
      Hello guys and gals! My first post here, so greetings to everyone.

Hi there !

Quote from: MasterBlaster
      Thx a lot to the founders of MODx that gave birth to this marvellous baby and to the community that will help growing it up, as it should. Hats off to David M. for the brilliant presentation help and guidance he gave to everyone over at Webmaster’s Hub. Merci bcp David, sans toi je n’aurai pas connu MODx.

:blush:

thanks grin !

This became a long intro but I really care to give it properly ‘coz nowdays picking up a good CMS with web standards in mind and a powerful API is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Finding one is like breathing pure air.

I know the feeling laugh !!!

This might be a long post to read as I like to keep things ordered and give enough details to help you out figuring out proper suggestions.

Yeah well, a pretty *long* post indeed... the kind of post you should be careful with, since such long post often have no answer (quite time-consuming to answer it all tongue )

-There are block that repeat themselves in several pages. I think that’s where tv, chunks and snippets will come to play their role.

You can use chunks in your templates, but if you want to take it to the next step, what you want here is use the @INHERIT @binding.

Read this blog post for an example of how to use it.

If we figured it out correctly on how they work, we should integrate those tags into the template to show the blocks where we would like them to be.

That’s exactly how it works, it seems my explanations on the hub were clear enough smiley

That’s ok if the blocks were to stay in one place in all the pages they’re needed to appear. In fact they don’t; we have block 4 being displayed for example in page 4 on the placeholder of block 1, in page 5 on placeholder of block 3 etc. So we have repeated content, moving in different places in different pages. Do you think the best idea would be to make per page templates?

Yeah well, that’s indeed would be the way I’d go since we don’t have conditionnal tags (yet grin )

-Pushing content to blocks, from manager interface.
      We will be working on pixel basis for this site and that makes it difficult to push content in some blocks like Block3 that includes 4 other Blocks with precise sizes. I thought a good way to look at it was to use create 4 pages for every block a, b, c and d and style it up to fit the specified size. Is that the way to go? What is your reflection on the thumbnails next to them? From an editor perspective it’s ok to include a photo next to the text using the wysiwyg functions for the full pages that each block will open up, but how to push a summary in the frontpage with a thumbnailed photo next to them? Doing that without modifying the database and some php coding, that’s a mystery to us.

This is not CMS dependent stuff you’re talking about there, just pure CSS tongue

Doing a per pixel layout is "child’s play" with tableless CSS, if you got the skills... and there is indeed no other way to do it if you use CSS you’ll have to think your layout on per pixel basis.

The trick with dynamic content is to manage the variable height of elements.

The way you have built your mockup, you’d either have to use something like overflow:auto for some of the blocks, the downside of this being you’ll have an ugly scrollbar inside the block (unless you go with javascript to handle this...) or you could have variable height for every block and say wrap block 1 and 2 inside a common div which will allow you to use the repeat background trick. Same for 3 and 4.

Contact form I was pleased to see that you made it easy to make up a form with several subject options that can be sent to different email addresses. I’ll be in need to put a link in a “Page X” that will fire up the contact form and automatically select as a subject “Question X” and same thing for “Page Y” that would select “Question Y”. Is this something that can be accomplished using snippets or should we code this the hard way?

You can do this effortlessly thanks to the ContactForm snippet smiley

If you want to push forms further, you can use FormProcessor, a highly customizable tool to build forms.

Content in a pop-upThere are contents to be added to the site that would require not full pages as there are just a couple of lines + a photo. Although I do NOT like pop-ups at all, I wasn’t able to argument a change on this. If we had a classic content page, there wouldn’t be any problem firing up a pop-up using the wysiwyg functions. However in our case we want to associate that pop-up with the “read more..” link of the summary text. Any ideas how to work that out?

I guess you’ll be using NewsListing to handle articles ?

The easiest way to achieve what you want done is combine javascript with target blank link attribute (I guess, since I never use popup I am not the person to ask...)

Limiting the image sizeWe would like that all the full content pages that contain images use images of a given size. We considered the easiest way was to point the editors to use any classic image utility software. Using a batch process to auto-size images to our dimensions and then update them, was not the taste of our client. They want to cut all the extra tools in the editing workflow process and want to use images of whatever size they have and it’s our job to restrict the size that the images are displayed. What about that huh? Who mentioned imagecopyresampled() ?

The easiest way to do it right now, unless I am mistaken, is to use TinyMCE plugin and have your client buy the MCImageManager. See :
      http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/plugins.php

Archive or Library

I’ll let someone else handled the answer to that, or else you could dig into the NewsListing snippet’s thread...

AJAX implementationWe have a page where we thought to include some flash content because we wanted to have this effect http://www.aflax.org/examples/video3/video.html . Then the content kept growing so it was not an option anymore for the sake of content searching within the site and from the SE robots. Any pointers on how-to achieve that effect using AJAX in MODx?

The only thing I can tell you is we have a FlashVideo snippet that allow you to embed a flash animation.

I am not sure I understand how AJAX could be used there, but I don’t use Flash, so I am not the guy to ask to...
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 8 Posts
        Thx for the input David

I appreciated very much your hints and pointers . I’ll have a detailed look at the @INHERIT @binding asap.
        Unfortunately since the day I opened this thread, we had a "few" new specifications from our client that rendered the task much more complicated. We evaluated that the amount of specific developpment is pretty important so we better start somthing from scratch.
        However we have another project in stand by that would perfectly fit with what MODx has to offer. So still weaving the MODx flag in this end grin

Merci encore.
        A+
          • 7,075 Posts
          Quote from: MasterBlaster at Mar 08, 2006, 11:49 PM
          Thx for the input David

you’re welcome smiley

I appreciated very much your hints and pointers . I’ll have a detailed look at the @INHERIT @binding asap.

I am pretty sure you’ll enjoy this smiley

Unfortunately since the day I opened this thread, we had a "few" new specifications from our client that rendered the task much more complicated. We evaluated that the amount of specific developpment is pretty important so we better start somthing from scratch.

Hmmmm, I believe in such cases a framework like MODx will precisely help specific development : make it faster and less expensive (using the API). Starting from scratch is quite harzardous and costly...

Plus, most of the times as far as I am concerned I push the client to examine thouroughly the benefits of a specific feature, from the end user’s perspective. Can it be done differently ? What’s the ultimate goal ? What’s the added value ?... those are questions which I systematically ask....

.: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 1,495 Posts
            I will chip in a little bit to comment this thread.

When deciding to use MODx or not, I would suggest to see the requirement of the system itself, but most of web application that relate to content management, I can guarantee that 95% of them will be benefit from using MODx as the base.

Wendy Novianto
              [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
              [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
              • 8 Posts
              There’s no doubt, that MODx has all what is needed to get something specific done. The powerful core and the portability of this CMS made me call a hydraulic guy to lift my jaw off the floor when I was done reading grin. The issue is with us, being total MODx newbies and having troubles looking at the right paths to get this and that done. In the other hand the deadline we have, gives us no luxury of time.
              I prefer to start softly with MODx with simple project and than progress to more and more demanding websites. After all each of us has it’s own learning curve with something new. For my part, I’m quite slow at it, as I’m at the best a code hacker but not a true coder. When someone gives you a Ferrari and you fill it with diesel either you’re stuck or you’ll explose the engine while driving. That’s my case with MODx.
                • 1,495 Posts
                Quote from: MasterBlaster at Mar 09, 2006, 08:45 AM

There’s no doubt, that MODx has all what is needed to get something specific done. The powerful core and the portability of this CMS made me call a hydraulic guy to lift my jaw off the floor when I was done reading grin. The issue is with us, being total MODx is newbies having troubles looking at the right paths to get this and that done. In the other hand the deadline we have, gives us no luxury of time.
                I prefer to start softly with MODx with simple project and than progress to more and more demanding websites. After all each of us has it’s own learning curve with something new. For my part, I’m quite slow at it, as I’m at the best a code hacker but not a true coder. When someone gives you a Ferrari and you fill it with diesel either you’re stuck or you’ll explose the engine while driving. That’s my case with MODx.

I do understand that. I took me about a month, before I decided to use MODx for production site.
                All the best for whatever that you’ve decided. Feel free to ask questions in this forum.

Happy MODx-ing wink
                  Wendy Novianto
                  [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
                  [font=Verdana]Xituz Media