We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    I’ve just gotten started with ModX -- so apologies if I’ve overlooked something...

I would like to create a template with template variables for weblinks. Is this possible?

Specifically, I’m looking to classify my weblinks with a drop-down menu of options, so I can mark them with a ’New’ option or a ’Recommended link’ option and have that affect the final display on my site.

Any advice would be welcome.

Kai
    • Kai:

It sounds like you are trying to create something akin to the Links module in PostNuke or a Blogroll in popular blog systems, where it lists categorized links and indicates new/popular/recommended link/whatever. I am not aware of anything off the top of my head, but I was starting to build something like this for a couple of sites I am migrating from PostNuke. I’ll try and finish it soon and see if it’s what you are looking for, but basically, I think you just need a list of weblinks from a folder in MODx and a snippet to create the listing for you. So I bet our NewsListing snippet could be easily modified to handle this, because despite the name, it is simply a summarization tool for documents, which web links are a form of in MODx.

Also, you might want to check the bug tracker and see if someone has requested anything similar. If not, feel free to add a feature request for such a thing. I think it would be a very useful addition for many MODxians. wink
        • 90 Posts
        Only just stumbled upon this post. I’m sure you’ve already implemented something, but if not, see this modification I made to the core code that allows weblinks to have template variables: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,2612.0.html