We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 225 Posts
    I’m using &sendAsText=`1` to send text only messages. However, new lines show up as html code
    in the messages.

Shouldn’t using that attribute preventing \n from being converted to
    ?
      René
      • 225 Posts
      Well, after looking into it, I consider this to be a bug. In line 289, the new lines are converted into
      ’s:

$value = str_replace("\n","<br />",$value);

That’s necessary in order to display the message in the thankyou page correctly. But for sending the message as text only, those
      have to be removed.

So I think before sending the form a test is needed if sendAsText is set, and then converting the
      in the message body back to new lines. This code, inserted at line after line 414 is doing this:

if($sendAsText==1)
      		$report = str_replace("<br />","\n",$report); 

I think this should be fixed. Confirmed?
        René
        • 225 Posts
        I’m new to this forum so I may not quite get the style here. Yet honestly, the lack of response in this case irritates me a bit, because it leaves me uncertain if in case of an upgrade, I have to check if that issue is fixed or not in eForm.

As a community, I hope we can work together to improve things. That’s why when I find a bug, I usually report it back, and some feedback would be appreciated then. Sure I can maintain my own version, and in case of special needs I’m used to do that. However, If I’m getting any html in the output of the attribute sendAsText, then I consider this to be a bug and not a special need. Am I reporting it in the wrong place? Is there an official bug tracker somewhere for eForm? If so, please let me know.
          René
        • Look at the top of the forums at the "Bugs & Support" link. We do have a dedicated tracker for this stuff in fact.

Please have a bit of patience with us as we’re about to release another version of MODx. With that said though, improvements to eForm are certainly appreciated. laugh
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 225 Posts
            Quote from: rthrash at Feb 20, 2007, 10:44 PM

Please have a bit of patience with us as we’re about to release another version of MODx. With that said though, improvements to eForm are certainly appreciated. laugh

... I’m patient by my very nature - if you don’t get that quickly, I will ... wink
              René
              • 1,010 Posts
              [running to the keyboard and typing frantically] I get the picture, I GET THE PICTURE Ok! grin

I had seen your post but it slipped my mind (so much does nowadays). This will be remedied in the next versions although in a slightly different way.

Line 289 (in your version) will be replaced with
              <?php
               // convert \n to <br /> but only if email to be send as html
              if(!$sendAsText ) $value = str_replace("\n","<br />",$value);
              ?>

and when the time comes to populate the &thankyou template (and sendAsText is set) any fields set to ’html’ will have their newlines replaced with
              then.

This seems like more work but I find it more logical and clearer for those who might want to doe something with values in the events.
                • 225 Posts
                WOW! SUPERFAST REACTION! shocked

Thanks Jelle ... smiley

As for your solution, my sense of logic seems to work a bit differently. I wouldn’t expect the sendAsText attribute to have any effect other than on the format of the mail. Though I admit I may not understand fully what others possibly want to do with the values, I see some danger of inconsistency when setting that attribute is affecting other functions. If it’s implemented on replacing the
                just in the message body before the mail is sent and not touching anything else, I can safely turn the setting on or off without having to worry about anything else, since the processing before sending the mail is exactly the same for all cases. Just my two cents ...
                  René
                  • 1,010 Posts
                  Yes, there’s something to be said for that as well. Either way, I’ll revisit this issue in the next major version (which will be a while in coming as I’m occupied with other things then coding for a while) and come up with a clear and solid solution,

As it is it’s not all that logic to set a field type to html if the aim is merely to format the thankyou page. (setting the type to html is the only time nl’s are translated to
                  ). Instead for textareas nl’s should always be translated to
                  when displayed in the browser, regardless if it’s type is considered html or a mere string...