We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 225 Posts
    I tried to use the &replyto Parameter like this:

&replyto=`[+email+]`

However it didn’t work - not catching any values, also not from other fields than email.

Looking into the code of eform.inc.php I think this line needs to be added (tested by me):

$replyto	= ($replyto)? formMerge($replyto,$fields):"";

To me it made the most sense to insert it after line 389 in the same group where $fromname etc are processed with formMerge.
      René
      • 1,010 Posts
      This is not specific to version 1.4.3 (I’ve adjusted the subject)

The &replyto parameter can be set either to an email address or to a field name. It does not support place holders as some of the other parameters do, for historical more then functional reasons. As such it’s not a bug.

To achieve what you want simply set it to (provided you have a field called email off course)
      &replyto=`email`

Please be aware that some people have reported difficulties with the resulting reply-to headers in emails. This is not an eform issue but is apparently an issue with phpmailer.

• 225 Posts
        Okay - actually I found out that my solution breaks things when the &replyto parameter is not used, so I had to remove this line.

I think an example in the documentation could help a lot, because referencing the field directly with &replyto=`email` is not consistent with how the &from and &fromname parameters work. So it’s a bit confusing not to know when to use [+placeholders+] and when `fields`.

As for reply-to headers creating difficulties for some people, what has to be done then? Because in my observation, the reply-to header is set by default also if not specified with the &replyto attribute. At least in my case, I have always a reply-to header.

René
          • 1,010 Posts
          I think an example in the documentation could help a lot, because referencing the field directly with &replyto=`email` is not consistent with how the &from and &fromname parameters work. So it’s a bit confusing not to know when to use [+placeholders+] and when `fields`.

No it’s not entirely consistent I agree but as I said that’s because of historical reasons, other parameters have evolved more. Once I get to the next major version change it’ll probably be improved, but that’ll be a while.

As for reply-to headers creating difficulties for some people, what has to be done then? Because in my observation, the reply-to header is set by default also if not specified with the &replyto attribute. At least in my case, I have always a reply-to header.

The next version will likely be using swiftMail instead of phpmailer. As for the reply-header being set in any case,... it defaults to the To header.
            • 225 Posts
            Quote from: TobyL at Feb 15, 2007, 02:54 AM

The next version will likely be using swiftMail instead of phpmailer. As for the reply-header being set in any case,... it defaults to the To header.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve noticed, and thus I don’t see the possible problems by setting that value just to another mail address. Anyway, I’m using now &from=`[+email+]`, as I can just hit reply then to a message, which is convenient to me.

I think eform is great - thanks for all your efforts!
              René