We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • It’d be handy to let our forms loose the deprecated name element. Since the validation works on IDs and labels, why don’t we make the placehoders that go into our reports work that way too, so that a row like the following:

<div><label for="mcTextureBed">Textured Bed – $163</label>
    		<input type="checkbox" id="mcTexturedBed" value="Textured Bed -- $163"  eform="::0" /></div>

With the following report section:
    <b>Paint Options:</b><br />
    [+mcPainted+]<br />
    [+mcTextureBed+]<br />
    [+mcTruckBedliner+]<br />
    [+mcCamo+]<br />

...would actually produce values. As it is, the only matches occur when there’s a name="blah" in the form fields.
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 576 Posts
      The "name" tag on input fields is not deprecated yet, and there’s no way we can do anything about that as the browser is what actually takes the input names and post them to the server.
      • Actually according to http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/:

Note that in XHTML 1.0, the name attribute of these elements is formally deprecated, and will be removed in a subsequent version of XHTML.

But that only applies to:

a, applet, form, frame, iframe, img, and map

So I was confused after working until 6 AM and then onsite at a client’s again at 8:30 AM. Thanks for knocking some sense into my sleep-starved brain. tongue smiley

Off to bed!
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 576 Posts
          heh, xhtml is the best and worst part of web programming!

personally, i don’t see the name attribute going away on input tags any time soo.

I DID have to look up the w3c spec though before answering that question smiley Funny that it doesn’t even really mention the name attribute for input...
          • Well if you think about it it doesn’t make a lot of sense to remove name from input elemets. It controls radio button groups for instance. Not to mention the posting bit as you mentioned earlier. tongue
              • 177 Posts
              yeah not to mention form element indexing through the DOM uses the name attribute.