We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 157 Posts
    Hi all,

Firstly if this is considered double posting, please feel free to delete it. I simply post here as I think my query has now move more into the realms of eForm rather than my original query about the Modx API. The original post may be found here:

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,9175.0.html

I’m fairly confident that my problem is due to my own lack of PHP knowledge, but I’d appreciate any tips on how to work around the problem -- or indeed identify it! smiley

When i call the following function from the eFormOnBeforeParse event

function getCategories(&$fields1) {
    //Get child folders
    $pCategories = $modx->getDocumentChildren(26097, 1, 0, 'id, pagetitle, description, alias, parent');

if (!empty($pCategories)) {

$output = "<label accesskey=\"s\" for=\"department\">Subject</label>\n"; 
    $output .= "<select name=\"folder\">\n";

foreach($Categories as $category) {
    $output .= "<option value=\"".$category['id']."\">\"".$category['pagetitle']."\"</option>\n";
    }

$output .= "</select>";

//Assign $output to placeholder
    $output = $fields['categoryOptionBox'];
    return true;
    }
    }
    return '';

The page with the eForm call leads to the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getDocumentChildren() on a non-object in C:\sokkit\site\modx\manager\includes\document.parser.class.inc.php(733) : eval()'d code on line 9

Any advice much appreciated, and like I said apologies in advance if this is considered double posting (please remove).

Cheers

Steve
    • Because you are inside a function, you need to declare:

global $modx;

right after your function definition. Otherwise, it thinks you are looking for a variable local to the function called $modx, which does not exist.

That or you can pass $modx to the function by reference...

function getCategories(&$modx, &$fields1) {
        • 157 Posts
        Fantastic! grin

This has been bugging me for a few days, thanks.

Incidently I couldnt get the pass by reference alternative to work, it throws a Call to Undefined function error.

Once again thanks smiley

Steve
          • 1,010 Posts
          Incidently I couldn’t get the pass by reference alternative to work, it throws a Call to Undefined function error.

That’s because the number of parameters in your event function is already determined by the eForm event calls. They are hard-coded in eForm. In this case the only option is to use:

global $modx;