We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 152 Posts
    When running the image editor in EVO 1.01 (Rev 5622) I got the following error:
    Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/www/domain.tld/manager/media/ImageEditor/Classes/Transform.php on line 133

I have not the problem on PHP 5.2 - am I the only one who have this error?

- A small step for mankind, so why not take two...

Working with web production, graphic design/workflow, photo and education - but are trying to get a life in between!
    • That’s a problem with a third-party component not authored by the MODx team. FYI, MCPuck and it’s related image editor will be removed in favor or a simpler file browser solution in a future release. It will then be up to someone to package up MCPuck and release it to the community.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 152 Posts
        Thanks Ryan, for also clarifying this for me today wink I promise that, that were the last question from me, for today!

And good to hear that there are - yet - a new "thing" coming smiley
          - A small step for mankind, so why not take two...

Working with web production, graphic design/workflow, photo and education - but are trying to get a life in between!
        • Please continue asking questions. There’s almost certainly someone else out there lurking that needs the exact same clarification.
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 98 Posts
            Wait a minute...I just ran into this problem too, and got all excited when I saw this post...only to find no solution, just "we’re getting to it..."

Meanwhile, those of us with PHP 5.3 can’t turn off this error? I’ve tried everything I could think of and no luck so far.

This MCPuck module is the bane of modx...

• 65 Posts
              Quote from: puffin at Feb 02, 2010, 09:52 PM

Wait a minute...I just ran into this problem too, and got all excited when I saw this post...only to find no solution, just "we’re getting to it..."

Meanwhile, those of us with PHP 5.3 can’t turn off this error? I’ve tried everything I could think of and no luck so far.

This MCPuck module is the bane of modx...

Hi there i’m in the process of making my first MODx based site and ran into the same problem today. On top of that i didn’t really like mcpuk and the related image editor.

So i’ve just made a quick and dirty solution and replaced mcpuk with http://www.lunarvis.com/products/tinymcefilebrowserwithupload.php.
              This is a nice Tinymce plugin (the only thing it misses is image cropping but i don’t need that anyway)

Haven’t thoroughly tested it but on first go it seems to function perfectly. It straightforward to implement.
              • Hello SiNNuT and thanks for letting us know about that. We’d LOVE to get rid of MCPuck in Evo. Do you have anything you can share with us?
                  • 65 Posts
                  Quote from: rthrash at Feb 08, 2010, 07:24 PM

Hello SiNNuT and thanks for letting us know about that. We’d LOVE to get rid of MCPuck in Evo. Do you have anything you can share with us?

I’m hesitant to reply because it’s a very simple ’solution’ but for what it’s worth:

edit the file tinymce.functions.php in assets\plugins\tinymce3241\ as follows:

1. edit line 167 to:
                  $tinymceInit .= ($use_browser==1 ? "		  file_browser_callback : \"tinyBrowser\",\n":"");

2. comment out line 169-216
                  3. add the following after line 258:
                  <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="{$tinyURL}/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/tinybrowser/tb_tinymce.js.php"></script>

Download and extract tinybrowser in the jscripts\tiny_mce plugins directory and read the readme file (duh). Most installation steps are taken care of above. Only thing left is to edit the config_tinybrowser.php file.

TinyBrowser Installation Method 1
                  =================================

The standard TinyBrowser installation, this integrates TinyBrowser as a custom
                  file browseer with TinyMCE.

4) Edit the TinyBrowser configuration file (config_tinybrowser.php). The most
                  important settings are the file paths (these will be automatically created on
                  your server by TinyBrowser if they do not exist) and also the ’obfuscate’
                  property, which should be set to a random value.

***NOTE:*** If your server is Unix-based. you may wish to modify the
                  $tinybrowser[’unixpermissions’] config value, which decides permissions.

5) All done! Now you will see a browse button in the TinyMCE dialog windows for
                  plugins like image, media and link - just click this button and TinyBrowser
                  will appear.

How’s that for quick and dirty! smiley But it works for me. I have only tested it on my winxp wamp environment but i have used TinyBrowser before on lamp systems and haven’t had much problems.

There has been talk about some security issues though, see this comment over at moxiecode forums http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=63539#p63539
                  Maybe someone with more MODx/PHP skills could look into that, because i really haven’t got a clue when it comes to this.

I’m sure there are many ways this can be improved upon (settings in MODx etc.) but i lack the knowledge to do so.
                    • 98 Posts
                    Thanks for posting TinyBrowser as an alternative to MCPuck; however, TinyBrowser seems a bit lame, cutting off my images about 1/4 from the top, not to mention a number of bugs and security issues reported in the TinyMCE forum you linked to in your post.

Here we are, Modx is stuck with MCPuck (pun intended) that won’t work in anything higher than PHP 5.2.9.

Over on the Modx download page, general requirements say "PHP 5.2.9 or later (5.3 when stable)" but Modx seems to work great in 5.3 or later with the exception of MCPuck. Meanwhile, the PHP world has already moved on to 5.31.

Modx has been promising to upgrade the image browser for ages now. When polling my clients, they loathe MCPuck.

OK, I’ll stop beating this dead horse and dumb down my PHP version, but in my humble opinion, MCPuck is the Achilles heel in what is otherwise an absolutely great manager.
                    • Deprecated does not mean it doesn’t work. It just means it’s triggering a deprecated warning, which you should be able to disable by setting your error_reporting level properly in php.ini, no?