We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Has anyone tried using the new CKEditor (http://ckeditor.com/) with Modx 1.0? Looks like the new version of FCKEditor and think I may want to use it instead of TinyMCE, but thought I’d see what the community thought.
      Jason Bird
      Twitter: @jasonabird @threeeyedbird
    • Looks really good. Should be straightforward to do a plugin I’d think.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 2,310 Posts
        I used the CKFinder as a file browser/uploader on a protected page section within a site.
        Very nice to use, looks like CKEditor follows the same concept.
        Would make a nice replacement/alternative to TinyMCE.
        If only I had the time and skill to build a plugin laugh
          • 28 Posts
          Anyone want to take a hack at this? I’m another one who would love to use this instead of TinyMCE but I don’t have any of the skills necessary to make the plug-in. - Jeff
            • 1,390 Posts
            I also thought it looked very nice. Hopefully someone will pick up the challenge and port it for MODx..

cheers/k
            • http://code.google.com/p/modx-ja/downloads/detail?name=ckeditor-test.zip

I make trial and error. I do not understand handling of the seturl method well... huh

• 1,390 Posts
                Yama,

That’s a start! Thx!

cheers/k
                  • 1,390 Posts
                  OK,

I have quickly tested this and for the most part it works fine and it rocks! I think it’s bye bye to TinyMCE sad

Tested in Evo 1.0; FF 3.0; Apache 2.2; PHP 5.3; MySQL 5.1.37; Linux Mint Gloria x64

Some features I liked:

1. Ability to show blocks of code as you edit (not source code per se, but it shows hierarchy of the html elements - try it to see what I mean wink)

2. In-place source editing! No pop-up window to edit the html code

3. Save button! And it does works! It respects the settings of the MODx save button (close after editing, add another, etc)

4. A preview button - this works too, but no template applied in the preview. Opens in a new window/tab

5. Spell checker! Yes, it does work. You get some non-intrusive advertising though...but that’s OK for such a handy feature, and it is multi-lingual. I only tested English though.

6. SCAYT - Spell Check As You Type, that’s right! A la Word/Open Office etc. Very cool. Right click on a word to correct it...again you get the advertising but it’s not intrusive.

The only error I am getting is probably because I am using PHP 5.3. Here’s the error

System Alert
                  CKEditor - OnRichTextEditorInit
                  An error occurred while loading. Please see the event log for more information.

Deprecated: Function split() is deprecated in /htdocs/www.evotests.local/assets/plugins/ckeditor/ckeditor.functions.php on line 135 Call Stack: 0.0024 971024 
                  1. {main}() /htdocs/www.evotests.local/manager/index.php:0 0.1443 4501392 
                  2. include_once('/htdocs/www.evotests.local/manager/actions/mutate_content.dynamic.php') /htdocs/www.evotests.local/manager/index.php:300 0.1864 5017312 
                  3. DocumentParser->invokeEvent() /htdocs/www.evotests.local/manager/actions/mutate_content.dynamic.php:1184 0.1874 5019208 
                  4. DocumentParser->evalPlugin() /htdocs/www.evotests.local/manager/includes/document.parser.class.inc.php:2393 0.1877 5108056 
                  5. eval(''/*\r\n\r\n * CKEditor - RichText Editor Plugin\r\n\r\n * Original Written By Jeff Whitfield - April 30, 2007\r\n\r\n * Modify By yama - August 27, 2009\r\n\r\n *\r\n\r\n * Version 3.0.0\r\n\r\n * CKeditor v3.0.0\r\n\r\n *\r\n\r\n * Events: OnRichTextEditorInit, OnRichTextEditorRegister, OnInterfaceSettingsRender\r\n\r\n *\r\n\r\n * Default Plugin Config: &CKwebset=Web Toolbar Set;list;basic,standard,advanced,custom;custom &CKwebcustom=Custom Web Toolbar;textarea;[\'Bold\',\'Italic\',\'Underline\',\'-\',\'Li...'') /htdocs/www.evotests.local/manager/includes/document.parser.class.inc.php:746 0.1879 5110984 
                  6. getCKEditorScript() /htdocs/www.evotests.local/manager/includes/document.parser.class.inc.php(746) : eval()'d code:125

Btw, don’t use the "New Page" button. It will clear all you typed and you will have to start over. It doesn’t initiate a new MODx resource.

Yama, many thanks for your efforts - bringing this to MODx!

Cheers/k

• It seemed not to be recommended after php5.3, I changed "split" -> "explode". Please try it.
                      • 3 Posts
                      Hi Yama,

Thank you so much.. It works!