We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 11 Posts
    I can’t seem to find FCKEditor anywhere in MODx v0.9.5 as an alternate to TinyMCE. This wouldn’t be a problem if TinyMCE didn’t return an error in IE7 with "Invalid XML connector" when I try to upload an image file -- at least I beleive this is the exact error. I know it’s an assumption that FCKEditor would make a difference, but having the option to switch would help in troubleshooting/isolating the issue.

Any advice?

Thanks

Windows XP Professional x64, IIS 6, PHP 5.2.0, MySQL 5.0.27

• Detail what you’re doing exactly and we’ll see if we can help figure out what’s going on. FCK is a standalone plugin now, and you could try it by downloading in the Repository.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • But both use the resource browser that is typically embedded with FCKEditor, mcpuk. So the issue is likely going to appear in both plugins since that is a separate application for all practical purposes.
          • 11 Posts
          Hi Ryan and Jason,

Thanks for the info.

To detail what I am doing exactly that generates the error:

• I log in to the manager.
          • I create a new page in the root of the site called ’test’.
          • I use the TinyMCE editor to add an image to the page content.
          • When the TinyMCE image dialog appears, I click on the icon located to the right of the Image URL input box which opens the TinyMCE Resources Browser.
          • I click on browse and select a JPG image, one that is uploading fine with the MODx File Manager.
          • When I click on Upload, I receive what appears to be a javascript pop-up dialog that states:
            "Invalid XML response from connector."
          • The file never uploads.

Testing with IE7 produces the error, but FF does not -- the results are the same with FF: no uploaded file.

Let me know if you require any additinal information, and thanks so much for the help and a great CMS.

-Rick
          • It may be a problem with IE7 and the way it handles RPC calls... and we might have to wait for an MCPuck update for a fix. Jeff will know and post more in the next day or so (Bravado).
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 1,611 Posts
              Actually, I’ve seen this error fairly often on several different browsers (Firefox, IE6, and IE7) for quite a while now. I’m not sure what causes it, but I find that Ctrl-Refreshing the Manager usually resolves the problem, and in my case just ignoring the error also seems to work a lot (in that the file does upload or is selected and inserted). Perhaps we should search for this error on the mcpuck site...
                "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
                • 11 Posts
                Even with the demo there is an issue with file uploads -- a 20k image never uploaded and eventually I received a time out. The percentage became Nan% uploaded which is indicative of a non-number. Although it is possible that uploads are disabled in the demo, what’s the point in a demo?

http://mcpuk.net/fbxp/demo/editor/test.php

Just some info; I’m not sure it helps but I hope this is resolved soon.
                  • 1,611 Posts
                  Although I’ve done very limited research on this, it seems to me that it’s related to thumbnail creation on the server. So that could be a permission or PHP graphics library issue of some sort. For example see the end of this thread:

http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=63696

This is often what happens to me (the error appears on first viewing of thumbnails but doesn’t seem to affect functionality and then goes away). My servers do create thumbnails properly and show them in the browser, so it might just be a slow response on the first one...? If we’re really interested we could look for the code that sends that message and the cases in which is does so.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLJ%2CGGLJ%3A2006-15%2CGGLJ%3Aen&q=Invalid+XML+response+mcpuk&btnG=Search

But we’re probably going to be abandoning mcpuk soon anyway, right?
                    "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
                    • 11 Posts
                    Hi ZAP,

I have researched this a great deal over the past day or so. It does not appear to be a PHP permissions problem as all PHP functionality seems to work just fine -- I mean I can create scripted thumbnails with gd, upload files, create files, create certs with openssl, use curl as a client, use mcrypt for hashing, etc. with no problems. I also tested an AJAX+PHP upload script in both FF and IE and it too seems to work fine, although it uses a different php class than mcpuk.

The last bit of testing I have to do is put this on a 2003 32-bit server and see if the problem lies there. It could be a player in the problem as many things that normally work fine just don’t on XP x64 which is what I use currently on my dev machine. I have VMware though, so testing on my end should be complete in the next day or so.

Thanks,
                    Rick